Making kitchen tiles from discarded plywood

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/08/making-kitchen-tiles-from-disc.html

1 Like

Laura Kampf is great! I really enjoy her videos and like that she’ll often put up stuff that doesn’t work out initially and how she ends up with something that does.

But I think the formatting is off, as I’m not getting the video here or when I click over to the main page…

2 Likes

Same, i don’t see anything.

Site note, wouldn’t using a flammable material for a kitchen tile be a bad idea? I say this without being able to look at where these tiles are as i can’t see anything on the post.

3 Likes

Here’s the video in question:

6 Likes

Bigger concern would be water getting in there and potentially swelling the wood or getting trapped behind the tile and the wall. That and food splashing all over them.

2 Likes

The end result looks great!

And a great way to save money (assuming you already have, or already have access to, thousands of dollars worth of woodworking equipment).

4 Likes

As long as the wood is treated correctly one could avoid the swelling but could be a little bit more work to clean compared to tile.

1 Like

I was waiting for her to make a nice bevel cut on her fingers. No guard, no push stick.

4 Likes

This seems like labor intensive shiplap. How long until this shows up on HGTV?

2 Likes

Relax, it’s like watching NASCAR.

2 Likes

She is using a Sawstop, but yeah, that setup was a little cavalier for my shop. People tend to think that Sawstop means safer- and it does; you can’t saw through a finger. But it can still kick back, and she doesn’t seem to clear any of those toothpicks out.

3 Likes

After watching the video (had the same concerns about water), it looks like she did put a coat of sealer/varnish/something on the wood after attaching it to the wall.

1 Like

You can get hurt from a sawstop, depending on just how fast you fling your dirty digits into the spinning blade o death before the brake cartridge kicks in. (those run about $70-80 to replace, plus the blade itself, according to SawStop’s FAQs.)

Plus, not everyone has the $1300+ that the sawstop costs. (and that’s the cheapest version!)

1 Like

Making a kitchen back-splash out of wood is the dumbest thing I’ve seen since the last Trump article.

3 Likes

I said you couldn’t saw through a finger, not that you can’t hurt yourself with the blade. :upside_down_face:

It’s call “rustication”.

it is far cheaper to just learn how to use a table saw safely. respect the machine, but don’t fear it, stay awake, use push sticks when you need to, and listen to that voice that says 'this could go bad." loading up a saw with safety seems to make people more cavalier*

*at least in my experience as a woodworking teacher

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.