Malcolm Gladwell explains how he deals with criticism

Originally published at: Malcolm Gladwell explains how he deals with criticism | Boing Boing

I assume that he makes himself feel better by counting the money that he made writing articles at WaPo about how smoking is actually good because it reduces the costs of Social Security :roll_eyes:

Or maybe for this one thing he just writes it off as being anecdote rather than evidence, unlike in his work.

13 Likes

A reminder that everything Gladwell says is basically bullshit and he’s qualified to talk about none of the things he writes books about. When confronted about the “10,000 hours” number to define expertise in interviews, he openly says, “oh I made it up”.

He’s the worst kind of popular writer– one who claims to be “just entertainment” but explicitly wraps himself in the cloak of science to legitimize his opinions and make people believe them.

20 Likes

The sting of criticism wouldn’t be so problematic if praise provided an equal emotional high, but sadly, that’s not the case. More often than not, praise’s feelings evaporate faster than criticism’s pain.

And sometimes, praise just makes us feel awkward. Please don’t “like” this comment.

2 Likes

Malcolm Gladwell explains how he deals with criticism

Not by introspection and careful fact checking, that’s for sure.

11 Likes

You mean notorious shill Malcolm Gladwell? The Gladwell who sells out at the drop of a hat? Yes, I suppose he would need to be able to dismiss criticism

3 Likes

If only more people had the confidence of a mediocre white man.

1 Like

Yes, true.

And: Malcolm Gladwell is mixed race, in case that makes any difference to the point you’re making…

Good, now I don’t feel bad for thinking that this was Ira Kaplan from Yo La Tengo at first. :joy:

2 Likes

Who?

Malcolm Gladwell Latest Articles | The New Yorker

… ah

He’s mixed race…

I will, of course, honor your request. May I just say how much I admire you for sticking to your principles. If only more people these days had your integrity.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.