Man, 21, busted for posing as 14-year-old and enrolling in high school

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/02/man-21-busted-for-posing-as.html

2 Likes
40 Likes

He’s a narc…

20 Likes

He was probably working on his screenplay for the sequel to Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Wasn’t Cameron Crowe in his 20’s when he re-enrolled in high school to research Fast Times?

5 Likes

Uncle Rico?

12 Likes

10 Likes

This has happened with HS basketball players several times over the past few years. There are a lot of people who joke (semi-racistly) about how this happens with certain NBA prospects/young players who came from other countries where birth-date record-keeping is perhaps not as diligent as in the US (Thon Maker is the meme’d example).

6 Likes

I am not disappoint.

5 Likes

Pretending to be that much younger may be pushing it, but Tom Holland played a 16-year-old Spider-Man at age 23, and Michael J Fox played a high-school-age Marty McFly at age 29, so maybe some people can pass. Of course, having Hollywood makeup artists at your disposal always helps.

5 Likes

3 Likes

The BGM was better than the film, IMHO…

1 Like

But how many actors are actually convincing as teenagers? There is “Hollywood” teenager and then the real thing. There is no way the casts of 21 Jump Street or 90210 could pass as teenagers in real life.

During the heyday of the 80’s teen sex comedy, clearly older actors were used so there wasn’t the implication of underage nudity. A knowing nod to the audience to the obviously fake.

3 Likes

12 Likes

Clearly a wealthy writer accepting a drunken challenge from his friends.

5 Likes

It seems to me that all of the reasons (super skeevy and illegal as they are) for going back to high school as a 21 year old don’t really seem to apply when the school is online?

6 Likes

I remember what school was like when I was 14, and I would NEVER want to go back. Even remotely.

17 Likes

I wouldn’t be so sure, a helluva lot of predators out there groom potential victims through online contact. If that was his game then this would be as good a tactic as any these days.

7 Likes

You’re probably right–I just would think there would be innumerable online options that don’t involve having to take geometry remotely. Perhaps I make a mistake when I assume too much strategy.

2 Likes

Hm. “Homeless” and going to someone’s house to use a school laptop there. There’s still opportunity for skeevy.

4 Likes

I just figure if one was a predator who wanted to creep on teens, one would go to where the teens are. Right now, that means “online classes.”

2 Likes