Woman, 48, posed as her 22-year-old daughter, took student loans, attended classes, and dated college guys

Originally published at: Woman, 48, posed as her 22-year-old daughter, took student loans, attended classes, and dated college guys | Boing Boing

4 Likes

For two years, Laura Oglesby, 48, of Missouri, posed as her estranged 22-year-old daughter…

Just that! Stop right there!

9 Likes

Paywall-free article…although it seems to have been written by an AI.

12 Likes

I can only assume that her daughter will now be forced to double-secret estrange her; given the paucity of other options.

20 Likes

who reportedly believed she was in her 20s…

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV

50 Likes

I’m to understand that this passes for a 22 year old woman? It was an interesting social experiment, until the prison stuff.

16 Likes

College guys are really that stupid?

Yes, I do know the answer.

32 Likes

Wait. . . which one is “estranged”??

I mean. . . sure sounds like mom is the “estranged” one here.

7 Likes

On this timeline… who knows. :nerd_face:

8 Likes

Frat house beer goggles combined with young-adult-horniness make for a powerful perceptual filter.

25 Likes

“Hell, I’d tap that!” said Johnny.

7 Likes

I’ll admit that I’m a lousy judge of age, but I can usually get it right to within a decade or so. She does look younger than 48, but I’d have a very difficult time believing 22.

19 Likes

There’s a movie in the works for sure.

7 Likes

It perhaps says more about the type of college student she was going on dates with.

8 Likes

Want a laugh? Go to their “about us” section. Also, their address looks bogus.

7 Likes

Exactly. Also: “Paying attention to me” will often outweigh “believable back story” to a young hormone driven adult.

4 Likes

You beat me to it…

8 Likes

I’m not OK with identity theft, but a woman (or man) of any age shouldn’t be prevented from going to college for financial reasons, nor should a woman who changes identity to get out of an abusive relationship go to jail for it.

13 Likes

You left out the Social Security fraud.

Lady was a crook.

22 Likes

I didn’t leave it out: the SS fraud was in the course of getting a new identity and getting financial aid for college

This wasn’t the right way to change her identity or pay for college, but our current system makes both hiding from an abuser and paying for college difficult, and I don’t know enough about her story to know what her alternatives were. My comment isn’t meant as an excuse for this particular person, but as a comment about the circumstances under which she did what she did.

10 Likes