Woman, 48, posed as her 22-year-old daughter, took student loans, attended classes, and dated college guys

Sketchy at best is what she did.

My niece would say “sus”.

10 Likes

The framing of this story kept running through my mind. The quote from the cop used to make her seem justified and elicit sympathy made me gag. Folks demonizing fraud in social programs make it seem as if BIPOC and undocumented workers are why stronger enforcement and identity verification are needed. :roll_eyes:

If she was in a bad situation, there were other options that didn’t involve theft, throwing her daughter under the bus, and lying to the men she dated. Forget all the focus on her age and appearance, I’m more interested in seeing her face serious consequences and making full restitution.

31 Likes

Right? White privilege strikes again…

This sort of thing is far more likely to come from entitled people, meaning white people. Of course, the “welfare queen” example is STILL trotted out by conservatives as THE reason we need less social programs… because it’s always about race.

But she’s a woman… can’t let middle aged women think we have worth and value outside of our youth and looks, can we? We might get IDEAS… /s

14 Likes

I think that the convention is to describe the other party in a dissolved relationship as ‘estranged’ if writing about, or from the perspective of, the other party formerly in the relationship(here, mommy probably not dearest); with a strong tendency to default to describing parents as the estranged party if commenting generally about the situation(I’m not quite sure if this reflects a belief that, on average, estrangement is something done to parents by children; or that, regardless of the actual numbers, estrangement is visibly transgressive when done to parents by children; while a little good, old-fashioned, disowning and/or deadbeat noncustodial activity is just how the world works; that is certainly the impression one gets from some of the hand-wringing articles about it).

2 Likes

You mean 123 Beverly Hill, New York USA is a fake address? Better call their phone number to double check.

3 Likes

It’s certainly possible to pass for 22 at 48, but this woman doesn’t. I don’t mean she looks bad for her age, because she doesn’t. There is just nothing about her appearance that would make me believe she is any younger than her mid 40s.

3 Likes

Proving that college can be a desperate time. Wonder which is more distressing this, the debt or back living with your parents who were maybe closer to the age of your …

Damn. So she was hitting the reset back to the life she could have had without that. I wonder how her grades were?

5 Likes

When I was 21 I started dating a person 20 years my senior. We were together for over 13 years. Of course we also never lied to each other about our respective ages, so perhaps, just perhaps, I’m describing a completely different situation!

(Also now that I’m on the other end of that equation, I’ll certainly go out or play at an event with someone that much younger than me, but I do not lie about my age and most of the times the other person is the one initiating the situation.)

6 Likes

So why the heck are they estranged???

Oh.

3 Likes

Also not defending, but 22 year olds aren’t known to receive a lot of social security benefits. She would have added 26 years to her retirement age if she hadn’t been caught.

7 Likes

World | Business | Entertainment | CBD | Tech | Sports

No.

2 Likes

It’s possible the daughter was receiving social security benefits for a deceased father (which they are entitled to until they reach whatever age passes for an adult these days.) So if Mom was claiming her benefits as a widow, and also claiming the daughter’s benefits as a half-orphan, that would be a little bit of fraud.

Just think: if every single person in America committed that much fraud, we’d almost equal a tenth of the tax evasion committed by our billionaire class.

12 Likes

Yet I can consistently pass for 15 years younger than I actually am. If I tried to look younger, I could probably do 25.

3 Likes

If you’re 48, nobody thinks you’re 22

If you take really good care of yourself, they might think you’re 35, and they might pretend you’re 29 to be polite

5 Likes

Right? It’s the fraud against the daughter that really has me boiling. I don’t care what a young dude told himself about the “girl” he was dating, that isn’t the criminal part in all this!

@smulder: Well, then, the 21 year old servers at our local bars and grocery stores really need to stop asking to see my ID. My 21st birthday already had a 21st anniversary. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

11 Likes

It’s 18; my sister was under 18 when my father died but I was 21.

Regardless, no one has mentioned this woman being actually accused of that, so who knows. Maybe I am doing that. Maybe you are. Maybe this is a hypothetical completely disjoined from reality.

2 Likes

It should be illegal to ask anybody over 40 for ID

3 Likes

Always great to have something you can’t be certain is a crime until you’ve committed it. “Oh, and by the way, the preceding material was classified.” :grin:

4 Likes