Woman, 48, posed as her 22-year-old daughter, took student loans, attended classes, and dated college guys

I agree, and think it’s pretty crap to ask anyone over 35, too. Monetary fine would be OK by me, so long as it’s paid to me (for each time it happens to me - each of us wrongly accused of being a not-adult should be compensated each time it happens).

3 Likes

When you’re estranged
Faces come out of the rain
When you’re estranged
No one remembers your name

16 Likes

Great cake last night for a 70th birthday.

Text on cake:
Holy shit
I am Really 21
With 49 years experience!

16 Likes

13 Likes

You tell me.

6 Likes

If I’m waiting somewhere and I have a book out, I’m often asked if I’m reading it “for school”, even though grad school was 20 years ago. In fact, I’ve mentioned that grad school was 20 years ago to a coworker in his early 20s, who had assumed I was his age and I just graduated, and he was visibly shocked. I’ve passed for a teenager in my thirties. It’s not flattering to be thought of this much younger than I am, it’s downright annoying.

11 Likes

I was being carded until I was about 40, so… :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Hahaha, one of my first thoughts, too.
Like this was supposed to be an 18 year old.

9 Likes

Looks aside, what about maturity?

I’m about ten years younger than her, and when I was in college, I was a little dipshit. Me now would probably have a hard time dating me from then. A 30+ year gap is a lot of life experience to just kinda ignore.

4 Likes

Kenickie is such a dream-boat :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Oh for sure I think for some people can look a lot younger than their age at least. I’m not one of them though, at least not to such an extreme by my own perception. But people have assumed I was younger before for sure. And I’ve assumed people are younger or gone along with whatever age they claim without thinking about it much before.

But pass here is maybe dubious isn’t it? I think it’s more like some people find age hard to estimate, especially in particular conditions, and “I think she’s older than that” isn’t really the turn off people want to believe it is etc etc. So it’s… socially exploitable.

8 Likes

I wonder if she actually pretended to be 22 in person. Seems like she could have used her daughter’s identity to do all the enrollment documentation online and then just shown up to college using her name, perhaps letting people believe she was just a returning student in her 30s.

I have a lot of older students in my classes but I rarely have reason to look up what date of birth is listed in their records.

20 Likes

Yep, me too. But just realizing how immature we used to be is a sign of maturity. Recently, I’ve had the sinking feeling that most people only “grow up” in the sense that they’re getting larger. They don’t really mature, especially if they’re surrounded by other similar aging adolescents. Even for myself I’m just hanging in there, pretending I’ve got shit figured out when really I’m just in the process of figuring it out.

5 Likes

Environment makes a big difference for sure. I would say I’ve matured a lot more in the last 3 years than the previous 7-8.

2 Likes

I think this is it. If someone were to tell me they’re in college and they looked to be 45 years old, I’d think maybe they were 45 and just a nontraditional student. If they said they were in their twenties specifically, I’d think maybe they hit the tanning beds and the bottle too hard, but I guess it’s possible. Regardless, I would not loudly call bullshit on what they’re saying their own age is, because that’s just not something that’s done.

7 Likes

Remembering clearly the time we were discussing something about Star Wars in class, and everyone was utterly shocked to find out that I was in my mid-30s after they challenged me on my insistence that I saw the movie on opening day.

12 Likes

Otherwise known as “adulting.”

6 Likes

I’d think “that’s an ambitious claim” but I wouldn’t think about it much more because I don’t really know her life.

4 Likes

I really don’t want to make light of any claims of abuse, but that seems to be the go-to excuse of serial scammers I hear about on true crime podcasts. If she can back that up, though…but still, why the criming and dating college horndogs?

Kind of a genderswitched “Hiding Out.”

2 Likes