Man attempts illegal soak in Yellowstone acidic hot pool, is reduced to wallet and flip-flops

I’m calling bullshit on this whole article. No names and a “lightning storm stopped the recovery efforts”, right…

I’m looking forward to reading the Darwin Award writeup on this one.

2 Likes

It took me all of about 5 seconds to verify that the story has been widely reported by various reputable news outlets complete with the name of the victim and his family. If it’s a fictional story they got an unusually large number of journalists to buy it.

16 Likes

Do you have links to any Alt-Right sources? :wink:

9 Likes

Nature created a perfectly good gene pool thinner and we just had to mess it up with signs and walkways.

9 Likes

https://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~rcs/index.html

I would welcome that, after the recent wave of vitriolic posts in other threads.

6 Likes

11 Likes

Norris Basin is weird. Most thermal pools (and all geysers) are slightly alkaline, but Norris has a lot of acidic pools, including, apparently, this one. One long-time employee/researcher told me that he had taken the pH of one pool in the Norris back country and found a pH of 7. The next morning it had a pH of 1, i.e. battery acid. Apparently the unfortunate dude found one of these.

The original report said that he had been intending to go “hot-potting”, i.e. soaking (illegally) in a hot spring, and had knelt down at the edge of this pool to test its temperature when he slipped and fell in. That was pretty much that. He didn’t jump in intentionally. Be it noted, any pool that is cool enough to hot-pot in, generally has other stuff living in it besides the hot-potter. Such pools are generally slimy, dark brown, and thoroughly unappetizing. Those with an unquenchable desire (heh-heh) to soak in thermal water are advised to head for Chico Hot Springs Resort in Emigrant Gap, MT, which has a huge, high-flow thermal source feeding into a giant jacuzzi at 104 degrees, and from thence into a near-Olympic sized swimming pool. So great is the flow that the water doesn’t have to be chlorinated, so it’s just as stinky, or non-stinky, as a back-country pool would be, minus all the algae, amoebae, etc.

18 Likes

Perfect.

You have a great mind.

HaHa! Big laugh.

Trump Pence a bag.

2 Likes

That’s great, there could be an associated reboot of ‘Cold Case’ where they put all those cases in that area/room/database to begin with. Just open with the Magical Economic Thinking Team prepping and coming into the area to ponder the disappearance, knowing cautions aren’t for them…6 years later one of them can’t but reckon everyone around them must have gone through the same thing but not want to talk about it.

As for ‘Medicinal Purposes’ one imagines runoff from that has been dilluted to 5X or better; and that is why (my inner Tim Minchin obliging Homeopaths says,) nobody wants to wear a plaid shirt or buy a tub that looks like it used to be limestone.
If we can just do something about the notion of drinking from mason jars, or let me know that it’s just literary anymore…

6 Likes

So to be fair, we should say “Thanks Grant!”

2 Likes

A lot of comments here in poor taste. I approve.

something something Darwin Awards something something

2 Likes

Clearly, all those “Illegal to leave path” signs were a Chinese hoax.

2 Likes

Soup anyone?

2 Likes

I initially read the above as green sauce.

5 Likes

But I’ve been in plenty of wild hot springs and none were particularly slimy and gross. On the bottom sometimes, but that’s no different than any other pond or lake. You make it sound like soaking in hot sewage.

(The only “stinky” hot spring I’ve been in was a sulfur spring. You get used to it pretty quick.)

11 Likes