Man boasts about being smart, gets first question wrong on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?"

Oh, I do love some lingonberry. And ginger snaps, and grav lax… Dammit, guess I’m heading to Swedish Kmart this weekend.

9 Likes

I have friends who go to the nearest IKEA store specifically for the meatballs, the shopping is an added extra!
I on the other hand, have been to IKEA a few times, and never once hung around to eat, that’s meatballs or anything else.

1 Like

OOoooh, that reminds me that I LOVE assembling furniture. IKEA is the top of the heap, but really, any flatpack furniture, cubicle, even exercise equipment; I’m your girl. So in my relationships, the only strife is when anyone else tries to horn in on my assembly. Mine! MINE!

18 Likes

6 Likes

Except I reckon most 20-somethings don’t get to go to Rome. The question kind of implies that it’s a pretty common activity. Seems like kind of a gimme to me, and I don’t read BuzzFeed*. He was probably very nervous.

*but I am extremely smart. /s

10 Likes

I had to just google Craig David. (And tried listening to the 3 top songs listed and had no idea)

2 Likes

I wanted to drop a smart comment about why this wasn’t a question of smartness, but I felt like a smartass. Now I’m self-impressed with my self-imposed restraint.

6 Likes

If he were really smart, he would have quipped, “This really smarts,” on being told that his answer was incorrect.

3 Likes

Good to know.

Though to be fair, I’ve only been to that store all of twice, both times at someone else’s behest; I have no need to ever revisit it now.

7 Likes

I miss going to Ikea. We used to take a yearly 90 minute drive over the border to the Boucherville (QC) store but with the border closed, it’s not worth the 3.5 hours drive to the next closest store in the Boston area. Gotta get my Lingonberry juice fix soon.

1 Like
9 Likes

Sic transit gloria mundi
It was one of those pop culture questions intended to catch out the intellectual contestants.

1 Like

Gotta say, I feel really sorry for this young guy.
He had that one hard-to-get chance at the big opportunity, blathered some excited, maybe silly words that seemed to piss off a lot of folks, then rammed the first question. Not only did his big dream come to naught, he’s now a permanent internet joke. That’s very rough IMHO. Hope he comes through it okay.

7 Likes

I’m genuinely hoping that he gets to star in some IKEA commercials as a direct result of this.

5 Likes
  1. Slight correction, polpette al sugo are a very traditional comfort dish in italy, the sort of thing your granny would make, in Sicily they even serve them with pasta, and lots of Italian Americans are from Sicilian roots, though they have changed a few things… Italian meatballs are cut with bread to make em softer (also cuz meat was expensive), and they would never use the sauce and meatballs with spaghetti, you’d use penne or something esle short.
4 Likes

Hence the

I am not aware of meatballs in any culture that aren’t cut with bread or similar grain products. In the Swedish ones it’s either bread or soaked oatmeal. In many cultures it’s breadcrumbs or rice.

4 Likes

Yeah, chances are if you went to eat with a big Italian family on the weekend (pretty much anywhere), a big dish of them would show up, but they’re not likely to be found on resteraunt menus…

Weirdly enough, the ital-american ones often didn’t, because meat was cheaper inthe US :confused:

3 Likes

Totally! It could be someone looking at furniture and exclaiming kind of snobbishly, “it’s not IKEA, it can’t be” and then he pops in, “that’s what I thought, but it IS!” :joy:

3 Likes

I think you may have to survive on watered down cranberry juice for now. It’s definitely not the same, but it might help for now. :confused:

Weather’s looking pretty crap for outdoor work tomorrow (maybe slightly better than today, but thunderstorms instead of random HEAVY rain). Guess that IKEA trip is gonna happen. Meh, I need a rug anyway.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.