Man buys Hitler's top hat and other Nazi items at auction for £513,000 and donates them to Jewish org

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/25/man-buys-hitlers-top-hat-and.html

7 Likes

I just read that after they wrapped shooting on The Man in the High Castle they destroyed all the sets and props that had Nazi swastikas and crap like that so there wouldn’t be any chance for them to become collectors’ items for white nationalist creeps. Good for them.

49 Likes

Good on him, preventing the rise of Hatler.

17 Likes

my first thought was “was he sure that the jewish organizations even WANTED them first?” – but i guess they did. i’m not sure i would even want to touch them. they touched concentrated evil, and who knows, that sort of thing might rub off.

10 Likes

My Father, French national that fought in WWII, handed down a Hitler ensconced pen knife to me, this was a common item given to low level German soldiers as a keepsake. It’s in perfect condition, I don’t even like touching it, it’s bad juju.

18 Likes

Maybe they didn’t want the items, but i think they would have more of a say on what should be done with the items than the gentleman that won the auction.

Perhaps do the same this guy did and reach out to any Jewish orgs that might be willing to take it?

16 Likes

Hitler’s top hat

M’ fuhrer

9 Likes

I can’t imagine how depressing it would be to handle such toxic stuff; then I try to imagine how satisfying it would be to destroy it all.

10 Likes

This reminds me of that one ep of Justified, where a guy went around searching out paintings done by Hitler… so that he could burn them.

17 Likes

The new owners of the stuff should have a charity auction for these items where the winner gets to defecate on them after a Taco Bell binge and publish photos

9 Likes

In The Umbrella Academy an executive who heads up an agency of time-traveling assassins has the Walther PPK pistol that Hitler used to kill himself as one of her prized possessions. (“We’re really not supposed to keep things like this… but he wasn’t using it anymore.”)

17 Likes

The Chapman brothers did just that, for realsies. Cornered the collectors market on Hitler original art, then drew unicorns and rainbows all over all of it.
http://albertis-window.com/2011/04/appropriating-hitler-the-chapman-brothers/

20 Likes

If there had been such a strong demand for Hitler’s artwork when he was young we might have avoided the Nazis’ rise to power entirely.

11 Likes

Damnatio Fabliouso

4 Likes

Saw that series; I vaguely recall that scene.

Good on them.

11 Likes

Yeah, Hitler need that gun like a hole in the head.

10 Likes

Hmmm. May be too soon. Not sure.

3 Likes

The group could use them for a fundraiser - raffle off the chance to destroy the damn things. That would be very satisfying. (And if using, say, small caliber weapons, a lot of people could have the opportunity to blast away at them before there’s nothing left.)

12 Likes
8 Likes

I hope so. Clothes and props tend to ‘disappear’ then turn up later. Stanley Kubrick learned that the hard way.

6 Likes