Man claims it's cheaper to spend your old age in a Holiday Inn than a nursing home

All I could think of is Holiday Inn Cambodia, so I guess the free advertising backfired.

12 Likes

This is essentially re-inventing an old concept. Certain hotels in the UK used to cater to long-term residents like this- it provided a level of care in-between independent living and full time residential homes, while providing year-round certainty of income for hoteliers.

People who’ve seen the old comedy series Fawlty Towers will have seen a depiction of this. The long-term residents Miss Tibbs, Miss Gatsby, and Major Gorton are all this type of guest- older, wealthy and still able to get about, having moved to Torquay for the milder weather.

22 Likes

While I totally agree with you I know people who would feel as if they had “arrived” if they lived in a motel or plague ship. For me, I’ll wander off into the jungle and nature will care fore me and recycle my remains at no great effort…

3 Likes

EDIT: And, that song will be in my head all day now…

7 Likes

Same deal for homeless people in Canada, commit petty crime, time it right and get housed, feed and clothed during cold months. If motived, commit federal crime, get free trade training, dental and corrective surgery. Takes a certain fortitude to game that sort of venture.

7 Likes

He did. There’s a link to a Facebook post in the story, but it might not load depending on your privacy settings.

No nursing home for us. We’ll be checking into a Holiday Inn!
With the average cost for a nursing home care costing $188.00 per day, there is a better way when we get old and too feeble.
I’ve already checked on reservations at the Holiday Inn. For a combined long term stay discount and senior discount, it’s $59.23 per night.
Breakfast is included, and some have happy hours in the afternoon.
That leaves $128.77 a day for lunch and dinner in any restaurant we want, or room service, laundry, gratuities and special TV movies.
Plus, they provide a spa, swimming pool, a workout room, a lounge and washer-dryer, etc.
Most have free toothpaste and razors, and all have free shampoo and soap.
$5-worth of tips a day and you’ll have the entire staff scrambling to help you.
They treat you like a customer, not a patient.
There’s a city bus stop out front, and seniors ride free.
The handicap bus will also pick you up (if you fake a decent limp).
To meet other nice people, call a church bus on Sundays.
For a change of scenery, take the airport shuttle bus and eat at one of the nice restaurants there.
While you’re at the airport, fly somewhere. Otherwise, the cash keeps building up.
It takes months to get into decent nursing homes. Holiday Inn will take your reservation today .

And you’re not stuck in one place forever – you can move from Inn to Inn, or even from city to city.
Want to see Hawaii ? They have Holiday Inn there too.
TV broken? Light bulbs need changing? Need a mattress replaced? No problem… They fix everything, and apologize for the inconvenience.
The Inn has a night security person and daily room service. The maid checks to see if you are ok. If not, they’ll call an ambulance . . . Or the undertaker.

If you fall and break a hip, Medicare will pay for the hip, and Holiday Inn will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

And no worries about visits from family. They will always be glad to find you, and probably check in for a few days mini-vacation.
The grand-kids can use the pool.
What more could I ask for?

So, when I reach that golden age, I’ll face it with a grin.

Some forsee an era in which nursing homes will be non-stop LAN parties rife with people finally finding the time to play through their video-game backlogs. Might be nice.
10 Likes

Yeah Holiday Inn is exactly like a nursing home. Except for, you know, the nursing.

15 Likes

Medical care in prisons is very iffy.

3 Likes

God willing I will die standing up. An elderly neighbor was all alone in the building his son had died. He walked 5 miles per day and appeared to walk with difficulty. When he had trouble one day I called social services and nice people came to talk to him regularly in his own language. And then one day he died in his own apartment. Seems happy people stay active and take care of themselves.

1 Like

Perhaps the author believes that his audience is generally familiar with Holiday Inns, while a “cheap hotel” could mean anything. It’s a way of showing ones work without using footnotes.

4 Likes

A cruise ship is the sort of retirement I’d equate to the tv show The Good Place. Like, wow meals included and all these anemities… oh wait I’m in hell aren’t I.

11 Likes

Doubtless true. I remember seeing figures a few years back that showed that staying a a first-class hotel and eating room service meals was far cheaper than a private room at a hospital. Perhaps hotels need to offer skilled nursing services as a competitive tool.

1 Like

Obviously this guy has no clue about senior housing nor what the difference is between independent, assisted living or skilled nursing. Stay at home if you don’t need care or socialization. It’s far cheaper to stay at home and hire a live in housekeeper/cook than to live in some small hotel room. Nursing homes are expensive because if you live there, you receive round the clock care from nurses and some oversight by a physician. Try paying for that privately in your home or hotel room and then tell me what is the better option

4 Likes

https://youtu.be/666JAioPDhM

1 Like

“On a cruise, your capacities for choice, error, regret, and despair will be removed”-- DFW.

3 Likes

I love the design of the old Holiday Inn signs.

5 Likes

Seems like just hiring a maid would get you most of what you get from the hotel room.

It seems kind of obvious that a hotel would be cheaper than assisted living, the latter promises a higher level of service. It should be said that if you don’t need that level of assistance then a nursing home is obviously the wrong choice. Even if you do it often makes sense to look at having a nurse come to your home a couple of times a day instead, most states have systems for this and it’s a huge savings over a full up assisted living facility.

3 Likes

My grandma was in a skilled nursing facility in Iowa. It was expensive, but really good. Much better than anything we saw in Florida (where she had lived previously). She started off in independent living, but then moved into skilled nursing when she couldn’t live alone.

Daily visits are fine if you just need someone to check on you and to help with things like laundry or cleaning up. When you need help to get dressed, use the bathroom or shower, then you really need 24/7 help. 24/7 in-home care is much more expensive.

7 Likes

if Fawlty Towers is still taking guests… I’m on my way!

2 Likes

My mom currently spends about $4000/month for her “luxury” senior independent apartment which includes meals and lots of activities. She loves it there and has a very active social life with lots of friends. She calls it “a cruise ship that doesn’t go anywhere”.

The last thing she wanted was the burden of taking care of a big house all by herself.

This equates to about $135/day which is high but she gets a lot in return and is very happy. I suspect when the time comes that she needs more assistance she’ll still be able to get by on her SS+pension.

5 Likes