Man claims it's cheaper to spend your old age in a Holiday Inn than a nursing home

Came to say this, too. I’d rather follow this example:

1 Like

Plus, you get to stick 'em with the clean up.
Your cats aren’t going to do the job if you haven’t any cats.

1 Like

… and when the time comes…

An interesting and worthwhile book - maybe you’ve encountered it already. It led to some good conversations with my aging parents and in-laws about what they really wanted. From the author’s point of view as well as my own family, more options for skilled in-home care would be very welcome.

1 Like

Exactly! And if one is still capable of living in a hotel, then might as well stay at home; even cheaper. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

At first I thought that it’s a Scarfolk poster :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Authentic, to the best of my knowledge. As, unfortunately, is the use of anti-psychotics as a cheap alternative to ‘staffing’ for keeping the old people calm that doesn’t require an anesthesiologist or make the DEA suspect that you are running a pill mill, the way the other main pharmacological options would.

Nasty side effect profile for a sedative; but inexpensive and non-narcotic.

5 Likes

i am imagining somebody who works there can get opiates somehow

or is “end of life assistance” going to be more than “get me high and let me die”

1 Like

I mean, nursing homes are ridiculously expensive but I’m guessing if you poop your bed every night it would be hard to get the holiday inn to clean it up.

1 Like

Sounds like a business opportunity if you’re a nurse practitioner who likes to travel.

A knock on the head works.

Unfortunately, in too many facilities finding a nurse is not easy. The regulations in my state seem to be changing to reduce the number of RNs required, so many homes have more LPNs. They also hire more caregivers (who have little to no health care qualifications). The less skilled care companies provide, the more they save in overhead:

4 Likes

Somebody else will get a mid-cruise room upgrade. Everyone wins!

1 Like
2 Likes

This has been around for a while.

3 Likes

Shortly after a stay in a particularly awful nursing home, my father visited a family member in prison and came to a similar conclusion. The thing that made it particularly tempting was that the food in prison was a considerable step up.

4 Likes
1 Like

Really?

This is brilliant.
It’s almost as good as my fall back plan to get incarcerated for, I dunno, taking a bat to tourists at Grand Central Terminal? and spending my end times incarcerated: Free food, clothing, shelter, (awful) healthcare. Sure, I lose my freedom but once I’m decrepit, I don’t know that freedom will matter much.