Man claims it's cheaper to spend your old age in a Holiday Inn than a nursing home

As a caregiver with a wife in a locked down Assisted Living Facility I have a few opinions. She has Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD) though we are trying to get the name changed to Frontotemporal Degeneration. I guess this is my Ted Talk.

First, my wife and I are in our 50s. Dementia is not a normal part of aging.

Skilled Nursing Homes are for residents who have severe needs. They have problems with at least 2 Activities of Daily Living (ADLs), such as dressing themselves, going potty, or eating. No way help at a Holiday Inn is going to meet those needs. I don’t think the original author has any idea that a Nursing Home isn’t a retirement community.

So lets skip Nursing Homes and discuss Assisted Living Facilities (ALF).

The definition of an ALF varies greatly. In the US they are regulated by the states, their definitions and regulations vary a lot. Residents might need just housekeeping and meals, in which case a Holiday Inn is fine. They might need medical assistance (medication given to them, help walking, being kept on site). There are Memory Care ALFs which are designed for people with dementia. They might be a dedicated facility or just a floor in an ALF. The staff/resident ration is higher than a regular ALF.

Let’s see. In my wife’s facility the residents would not survive on their own. My wife would have been kicked out of a Holiday Inn for violent episodes (many people with dementia are aggressive, though this can be controlled by behavior of staff and medications) and other behavioral issues.

I’ve also had paid staff at home so I could work during the day. If I had 3 people taking care of her (8 hour shifts, 24 hours/day) it would be more expensive than her current care. My wife is taken care of by 24/7 staff. They get to go home at the end of their shift. They get training, the thought that anyone can do NH or ALF work is deluding themselves. We expect people to be poorly paid for skilled work. OK, doing housekeeping in a Holiday Inn is also skilled work, but different skills.

I am constantly impressed by the staff at my wife’s ALF. They notice if she is off. If they think she is sedated, they will work on changing/reducing her meds so she can be more active. If she is striking or biting another resident they will work on behavior mod (which cannot be expected to work for someone with FTD) and/or med changes and/or other changes in the environment. My wife has built special attachments to various staff. I’m not sure how Holiday Inn staff will redirect someone who is walking around in circles without her pants on (this happened only once).

Plus activities. And providing a great deal of routine.

And my wife has better cognitive function than most of the residents at her facility.

12 Likes

The Romans had the right idea. When you get to a point in your life where you feel like you’ve done what you could, experienced it all, and are on the downward slide, you just stop eating and fade out.

3 Likes

Really? What did they call that? I would have thought they’d generally be more likely to die of some awful disease before getting to that point, though I can’t admit to having much knowledge of Roman culture.

ETA: Oh, there it is.

4 Likes

It is true, quality varies widely.

Even the same facility can be significantly different under different leadership. And, that will only get worse as people and companies enter the industry looking for booming profits, but failing to understand the human elements.

Plus regulations vary state to state. Like in many other arenas of life, poor people are screwed over in a really alarming way.

I think it’s worse in assisted living, where there are even fewer regulations.

4 Likes

This is my main takeaway from this article as well. Long live Googie.

Enjoy your capitialism, Boomers. The invisible hand of the free market is giving us all the finger.

In my area, there are lots of facilities owned by Genesis, HCR Manorcare, Brookdale, Atria, and Sunrise. I hope to avoid all of them, and go for at-home care. If that’s not possible, there is one local facility that is financially sound, well-maintained, and doesn’t evict residents who run out of money.

2 Likes

This depends on you recognizing that you have reached this point in your life. Many people with dementia have Anosognosia, the part of the brain that lets you know you are sick is broken. Many people with dementia think they are fine and won’t seek help, never mind wander into the jungle.

4 Likes

This just in…Across the country, a record number of seniors are having hips broken while visiting various Holiday Inns… News at 11.

2 Likes

I am sorry to hear that about your wife. It must be tough. Are you doing okay?

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.