Man collides with door divider

There’s a comment by me saying that’s not my problem.

(Note, this is supposed to sound funny, but I think it came out sounding sort of mean.)

I did that in high school my freshman year, I was looking at some attractive seniors and smacked right into the damn thing. It was foreshadowing for the rest of high school.

wait - is that the entrance to the Toscana Design store?

You beat me to it, dammit.

Even days: stand right, walk left
Odd days: walk right, stand left

Or the reverse, I don`t care.

So simple, and can be understood everywhere that reckons days as integers, incrementing +1 each day, can be cyclic, with cycles in cycles (months inside years) of any depth, increasing or decreasing count, etc.

Seems there`s a year zero problem, though. According to my Amazon Echo Dot, zero is even, so no probs with zero-based counting systems.

Welp, time to hit the hay…

Except that it’s wasteful and transports fewer people.

[The London Underground has concluded that in stations with escalators more than 18.5 meters, or about 61 feet, tall, much of the left side of the escalators goes unused, causing blockages and lines (“queues”) at the bottom.

A three-week trial at Holborn last year found that standing on both sides of the escalator reduced congestion about 30 percent. During rush hour, about 16,220 people could travel on the escalators, compared with 12,745 in normal conditions.](https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/13/world/europe/a-london-subway-experiment-please-dont-walk-up-the-escalator.html)

Weren’t London going to introduce “walk” and “tourist” lanes on footpaths?

Promising start of a budding talent; still needs a bit of work on timing and delivery, though.

Isn’t that just the Coriolis effect? Like why your toilets flush backwards?

2 Likes

What I find annoying (but typical) is Mark commenting

Yes, the guy should have looked where he was walking, but good design should take this kind of think into account.

Perhaps you meant to say “thing”?

Or is that on purpose? Or just lack of editorial overview? This happens a lot, and not just here on BoingBoing. Since this is the internet, why doesn’t Mark, or an editor, simply go back and fix the mistake?

Pfft. I’ve already done that, so there. And I once walked smack into a telephone pole.

1 Like

Muphry’s Law inaction :wink:

Huh? I’ve never encountered this stricture before. Do the escalator police get you if you walk on the escalator?

3 Likes

If it is at ‘the mall’ I assume the Fashion Police will catch up with you if you stay too long.

And if it’s on the way to or from a subway station anywhere in the Northeast you might be pushed aside if you stand on the wrong side.

2 Likes

This reminds me of a related peeve where places have double doors, but frequently lock one of them.

1 Like

Running up and down the escalators is a bit different than walking up them.

Were any Higgs-Bozo particles released?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.