Man dressed as old lady smears cream on Mona Lisa

Originally published at: Man dressed as old lady smears cream on Mona Lisa | Boing Boing

4 Likes
16 Likes

Ah, but is what he did Art?

[Runs and hides]

12 Likes

Well it’s not all bad news for Lisa these days

2 Likes

…what…?!?

1 Like

Yes. It’s Dadaism.

8 Likes

Good, good.

Now we just need someone to wade in with “No, it’s just juvenile vandalism!”

Do we have any takers to play Outraged from Tunbridge Wells?

3 Likes

Once you have your art manifesto it’s never just vandalism…

You Betcha Anna Kendrick GIF

14 Likes

He is being described in some news reports as a “climate activist”. That is not helpful to the cause.

14 Likes

Man dressed as old lady smears cream on Mona Lisa

Pretty click-baity, given that he smeared it on the glass protecting the Mona Lisa, not Mona Lisa …

22 Likes

How long do I have to line up outside to get in to stand at the back of that crowd and not see the painting unless I hoist my phone in the air?

My thinking is I want to sit there and stare at her for hours, while she stares back at me. Can I make a connection with the artist? How the light comes off the brushstrokes, the subtle hints of texture & pigment changes… it’s like being in the artist’s studio while he …

ATTENTION GALLERY VISITORS - Please make way for The Van Twinkie Twins, followed by half the D-Listers on the current TMZ.com page.

3 Likes

Gammon game on!

1 Like

It’s a pretty miserable experience trying to get up to see the Mona Lisa honestly. Then you don’t even get a great look at it because of the jostling crowd, the endless camera flashes, and the dark glass that covers it to protect it from said camera flashes. It’s something you do because you have to once in your life, but the rest of the Louvre is vastly more fun. It’s filled with quiet corners full of wonders that the dumb tourists will never see.

22 Likes

Yeah, that painting is small and dark. I really enjoyed the gallery but that part was massively underwhelming. There are so many more interesting (and looted) things to see there instead.

16 Likes

The large format gallery is amazing. I could sit in there all day looking at different corners of different pieces.

14 Likes

Indeed. There are thousands of interesting pieces of art to see in Paris. I don’t think anybody ever came away from the Mona Lisa with anything but a tick on their bucket list.

20 Likes

Absolutely agree. You could spend weeks in the Louvre, never even bothering with ol’ Lisa, and still have plenty to explore. It’s a pretty amazing place. In the same way that most visitors to Yellowstone never go more than a few hundred yards from the main road, too many folks going to art museums hit only the famous works and ignore the rest.

Oh well. Keeps the other parts quiet.

15 Likes

I skipped the louvre due to limited time and instead saw the museee d’orsay which I definitely didn’t regret seeing.

Now I wonder if I’ll ever get the chance again.

15 Likes

I have been there too and it was great! The Pompidou Centre too.

Yeah, one day, hopefully :crossed_fingers:

9 Likes

15 Likes