Man dying of cancer, unable to stand, charged with possessing THC paste after nurse calls cops

Exactly. The point is, if a vape pen ignited the minuscule amount of oxygen that leaks from the in-room supply, then so would about a dozen other things in that room. It takes an open flame and a LOT more oxygen than a leak would generate.

The reason to take the vape pen (and not call authorities on a hospice patient, FFS) is because the vapor could harm other patients with respiratory problems or allergies.

9 Likes

Guessing he was embarrassed over all the bad publicity.

Exactly. If, hypothetically, he had been caught smoking a cigarette, an actual fire hazard and danger to any roommates or medical staff, would they have called the cops? This was not about a vape pen, it was about a dying man having some THC. And that is ridiculous. The cops came to their senses? Great. They should never have been involved.

10 Likes

The background check in California still asks if you smoke weed.

2 Likes

Does CA have a separate form the state makes you fill out?

Otherwise, yes, all people going through an FFL will fill out the standard ATF form and that question will be on all of them, regardless on the legality of weed in the state.

I realize Biden is an old head probably still mad at the hippies and “youth” for smoking weed, but he should push his party to make it federally legal. Possibly an EO could decriminalize it.

But did he get the paste back? Cannabis is a noted pain reliever for cancer, plus can prompt an appetite. The nurse who did this is obviously not in it to help people, but rather to be a control freak. He/she should have a talking to from the Dr who told him it was OK. Why people are so against pain meds for dying patients is a mystery to me. I worked for a cancer Dr and he had rx’d morphine for a dying patient. He was getting grief from admin. They were telling him the patient may get addicted!

7 Likes

When my grandmother was dying of cancer, she rejected the morphine. She said that she didn’t want to get addicted. But, like, she was days from death and would never get out of her bed again. My aunt was able to talk sense to her, and she did get some pain relief. She said “are you afraid you’ll end up running with a fast crowd and getting knocked up or something?” and it reached her, but her eldest was the only person would could speak to her that way.

She would have been absolutely scandalized by the idea of taking THC for her pain, but most of the folks coming to visit her would step out back to smoke out. Any would definitely would have shared, if she had been open to it. She overcame a lot of biases in her life, but she never did let go of “drugs R bad”. It’s wildly ingrained for some.

8 Likes

when mum-in-law was under hospice care for metastatic breast cancer that ravaged every organ, she was in our home in West Seattle in the 90s. she was not averse to THC as smoke or in brownies and cookies. this was before WA had even “compassionate care” or legal medical mj. my friend and i sourced very good bud from indoor grow ops and i infused butter to cook with for her - until she could no longer eat.
she could smoke it up, though and i am happy to have been able to provide that relief for her.
fucking prohibitionist prudes in this country are why we can’t have nice things. why can’t we all just get along a bong?

12 Likes

One of several reasons :wink:
Glad you were able to help your MIL, though! It is a weird thing USIans have about pot. Pop a synthetic pill for your statins or whatever, no problem, but ingest a plant that grows naturally literally almost everywhere, and it’s somehow immoral.
I love the Bill Hicks riff about MJ. Brought my beloved grandfather to tears of laughter once, recounting it. Good memories.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.