Man-Eaters: Handmaid's Tale meets Cat People in a comic where girls turn into man-eating were-panthers when they get their periods

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/02/lycanthropes-v-patriarchy.html

1 Like

I’ve heard nothing but good stuff about this series and loved her run on “Mockingbird” – but I’ve got serious concerns that Cain may be a terf, and to hell with the fucking terfs.

3 Likes

8 Likes

I always knew something happened when they took the girls away to another classroom in sixth grade. I could tell they were changing… but into what?

8 Likes

You had me at “Handmaid’s Tale meets Cat People”.

8 Likes

“terf” Had to look that one up. Sorry I did. Like we need more hate groups out there. Sigh.

7 Likes

I agree with you, criticism is not hate, but name calling and accusations of oppression can be

1 Like

I’m a bit disappointed that wiki doesn’t mention Emma Goldman’s support of transgender (including non-binary) people from 100 years ago.

It is a tragedy, I feel, that people of a different sexual type are caught in a world which shows so little understanding for homosexuals and is so crassly indifferent to the various gradations and variations of gender and their great significance in life.

-in a letter to Magnus Hirschfeld

15 Likes

It’s Wikipedia; unless it’s locked, the entry can be edited to include that info. Good on her for being truly ahead of her time.

3 Likes

Here’s something not dissimilar that I enjoyed…

7 Likes

I know, but my experience is that I spend a lot of time trying to write a well sourced NPOV addition, only to have it removed by someone who disagrees with it.

I gave up on that a long time ago. My limited energy is best spent raising awareness in other places.

6 Likes

I found my copy at Burbank’s House of Secrets, my excellent neighborhood store, and I’m going to add it to my pull-list the next time I go in.

Sounds like a promising book, but what’s a pull-list?

2 Likes

That’s the downside to wikipedia and the whole “anyone can edit it” aspect.

1 Like

If you’re a regular customer at a comic book store, you can give them a list of titles to reserve for you every month, and they’ll pull the copies for you when they come in, before they hit the shelves.

(Once upon a time I bought a lot of comics, but I don’t have the money to spare… it’s an expensive habit. Though this sounds like the kind of thing I’d pick up if I was still a heavy reader.)

7 Likes

It makes me wonder what society would look like after all the men have been consumed. :thinking:
:running_man::pouting_cat::meat_on_bone::woman_shrugging::woman_cartwheeling:

2 Likes

I, for one, welcome our hungry, lady cat overl… well, no actually I don’t. That wouldn’t end well for me, tasty, fat-marbeled morsel that I am.

I did preorder Man-Eaters Volume 1 last September and forgot about it. Now I have something to look forward to next week!

9 Likes

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/the-saga-of-swamp-thing-40-the-curse/4000-261299/

2 Likes

“Notify the authorities in your town when your period is imminent as they may want to incarcerate you pre-emptively like a wolfman.”

1 Like

As a greymuzzle furry this really IS my bag. I hope the art is good.

1 Like