Man enjoys coffee in a flooded Starbucks

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/20/man-enjoys-coffee-in-a-flooded.html

2 Likes

“Eh. It’s fine. There’s still WiFi.”

15 Likes

I ordered an espresso NOT an Americano. Quit watering down the drinks.

20 Likes

Come hell or high water

I admire his dedication.

10 Likes

Can’t leave until you’ve taken your poop. This guy just needs to make sure that happens before the water gets up to the electrical outlets.

11 Likes

And in that all-night café, about a quarter-past-eleven,
Same old man, sitting there on his own,
Looking at the world o’er the rim of his tea-cup,
His tea lasts an hour, and he wanders home alone.

And how can you tell me that you’re lonely,
Or say that for you, the sun won’t shine?
Let me take you by the hand, and I’ll lead you through the Streets of London.
I will show you something that’ll make you change your mind.

11 Likes

“Story in comments”

I dont see the comments when i go to imgur

5 Likes

I asked for a Grande, not the Rio Grande!

19 Likes

enjoying my coffee…

14 Likes

Nope, no story in comments. Make your own!

I am amazed the shop is open. They’re just asking for a slip & fall suit.

6 Likes

It’s just common sense-- if your feet are already wet, you may as well stay.

Wet feet is a small price to pay for some solitude and the gentle sound of flowing water.

14 Likes

That is the look of a man who has been through much worse.

15 Likes

My favorite part of 2001 is where they are on the moon’s heading to the crater and they are eating some sandwiches looking at the magnetic anomaly maps and one guy says the thing has been “deliberately buried” pause “how bout some coffee?”

Nothing like a strong cuppa joe after you’ve found evidence of intelligent life beyond Earth, amirite?

10 Likes

Google Translate of the story

5 Likes

That’s wet!

Quarry Bay New Wai Yuen Road outside King’s Road westbound pedestrian road full dip, water depth over the foot of the eye,

4 Likes

If that’s what the main area looks like I don’t want to see the restroom.

7 Likes

This makes perfect sense to me, given Starbucks is named after the first mate in Moby-Dick. This man is clearly living out a quixotic nautical fantasy at literary-themed chain restaurants. I’m certain he eats lunch at the flooded Long John Silver’s down the street.

11 Likes

A number of years ago, when there was a Virgin Megastore in San Francisco, I had an experience like this. The first two floors of the store were music, but the top floor was a bookstore with a little coffee shop in a windowed nook, looking out over Market Street and what is now an Apple Store.

I and a friend were enjoying a cup of coffee and noticed a bookstore employee trying to hang a banner. One side had been hung from one of the drop ceiling supports. But they were having trouble getting the other end up, but they finally found something substantial to hang off of: The sprinkler.

It went off, of course, releasing a truly impressive amount of water for a surprisingly long time. The books were obviously ruined in seconds, and the water had nowhere to go but down to the other two floors. Customers covered their heads and ran for the stairs and the exit. I hate to know how much that cost Virgin. (Or the sadly clueless employee.)

But the sprinkler didn’t reach the coffee shop, though water flowed along the floor. The only way out was through a torrent of indoor rain. So we put our feet up and enjoyed our beverages until the fire department showed up and turned of the sprinklers.

It was a surreal experience, and sad to see so many books destroyed. But sometimes the only thing to do is relax and enjoy a cup of coffee.

13 Likes

You have found one of my tribe!

3 Likes

Having read the article, this seems to be a regular occurence. I wonder why they don’t build higher or on top of pre-existing foundations, like Venice?

1 Like