Man fined $190 for not putting a leash on his pet snake, Lucy

on the other hand it’s easy to find hats for snakes.

6 Likes

Search Walk the Dinosaur. It’s like a snake, but a dinosaur.

@anon75430791 They say Dali used to walk a lobster on a leash, but they also tell that story about Alfred Jarry and Tristan Tzara and probably nine other artists.

2 Likes

Did they open for Nope Rope and Trash Panda?

6 Likes

Is this one of those “How would a dog wear pants?” type questions?

3 Likes

I wasn’t actually looking, I was just amused that DDG came up with that set of choices.

There is plenty of lizard walking in The Freshman, but I wasn’t able to find a decent shot of the final scene with Brando and Broderick walking the Komono dragon (on leash) through the cornfield.

3 Likes

That’s a mean way to talk about your pet.

3 Likes

Yes, and I have the broken tooth to prove it. :wink:

4 Likes

looks like a market for finger trap style leashes…untapped I tell you, UNTAPPED!

8 Likes

I love my pet ( I’m obsessed with him :3).

But it’s weird to bring a reptile to a public park. Lots, and lots of people are afraid of reptiles.
It’s a weird thing subject people to unexpectedly. Better to have a planned forum for it.

6 Likes

Exactement!

Everybody get on the floor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKupOsaJmk

7 Likes

A leash, per se, seems foolish - is it possible to leash a snake? - but the idea that you are required to restrain your pet - especially your large carnivorous pet - in public seems reasonable. I certainly approve of that rule for dogs, and I don’t see why a boa constrictor should be exempt.

Furthermore, if you follow the link to the Argus Leader, this seems consistent with the rules here: the rule is that the animal must be restrained, not that it must be leashed. A bag, a box, a cage, a fenced yard, or a leash might suffice. Even keeping the snake wrapped around his shoulders might have satisfied the officer (indeed, the article says pets are welcome in public if on leash, held, or kept in a container), but in this case he’d let the snake loose in the grass of a public park.

So, yes, “leashing a snake” is a funny idea, but he was cited for failing to follow a requirement he restrain his pet, not for failing to leash it. He unquestionably broke that rule, and I don’t think it’s a silly rule.

5 Likes

Sioux Falls you say?

I’ve heard that people don’t like snakes on the Plains.

18 Likes

now all i want to do is make some “professional snake walker” take-a-number flyers to post around town.

10 Likes

also, I’m surprised his counter-argument of dude, no didn’t persuade the by-law officer.

i don’t doubt that…

4 Likes

[quote=“WarrenTerra, post:32, topic:98530”]
A leash, per se, seems foolish - is it possible to leash a snake? - but the idea that you are required to restrain your pet - especially your large carnivorous pet - in public seems reasonable.[/quote]
I’m pretty sure that the standard way to restrain a snake in public is by flute.

11 Likes

She does not bark, and she knows the secrets of the sea.

It is for snek’s own protection. Suppose someone else is walking their porcupine?

3 Likes

Gérard de Nerval has precedence.

2 Likes

To this guy’s claim that he’s out “educating the public”…hmmm. That falls somewhere on the creepiness scale between “local schoolteacher brings puppy into kindergarten class” and “flasher just wants to help women get over their discomfort with the naked male body…”

Agreed. A smidge too far in the “unpleasant surprise” end of the scale…

2 Likes

I wish he had asked the officer to handcuff the offending reptile…Perhaps that might have given her some insight regarding the lease issue. There is also the unmentioned possibility that this particular officer might be either A) stupid, B) anal or C) some unfortunate combination of both.

1 Like