Toddler picks up snake instead of stick while playing fetch with dog

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/06/toddler-picks-up-snake-instead.html

6 Likes

Great supervising there, dad.

5 Likes

The toddler seems hardly bothered, but that is one surprised dog!

13 Likes

Hope they tossed it into the woods and left it alone. Looks like a harmless Rat Snake.

27 Likes

Better a snake than a Viral Hog.

9 Likes

But what about 30 to 40 viral hogs…

16 Likes

snakes

22 Likes

A Conan or Kull story awaits us.

3 Likes

This video would have a VERY different ending here in Australia

32 Likes

I hear your sticks don’t need dogs to fetch them anyways.

10 Likes

Aussie here. Friend of mine lived in a country area and his cats would bring small venomous snakes into the house to play with.

15 Likes

I like the creativity in the naming of Australia’s venomous snakes

“What should we call that brown snake?”
“Let’s call it a brown snake”

“Okay, well what about that black one with a red belly?”
“How about calling it a red-bellied black snake”

19 Likes

Asher? I could have sworn his name was Aaron.

2 Likes

That’d be just about enough to convince me they were outside cats from that point on.

7 Likes

Clearly he was trying to do this, but in reverse

10 Likes

See? Even the invasive animals want to kill you! “I can’t do him in myself, but you could do it for me, right?”

7 Likes

My (then) 3 year old son picked up a squirrel once in the Boston Common a few years ago. He just walked on over and picked it up off the ground. The squirrel was just as shocked as we were but got its wits back after less than a second off the ground and then made itself scarce. It’s not a matter of supervision, you see the moments leading up to it but your brain is not able to put all the pieces together to stop it quickly enough.

29 Likes

And here I was all ready to blame Dad for filming instead of helping, but he immediately dropped his arm and ran to the spot. By then, the kid dropped the snake, which was too wriggly to be a stick. Thank goodness the filming resumed post haste.
I see a few snakes playing golf, but golf balls are cheap, and I’d take a free drop anyways… No point in looking it up on a reptile ID app just to save a scratched Calloway.

2 Likes

I hear even the sticks want to kill you.

13 Likes

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2016/09/deadly-boomerang-australia-aboriginal-weapon/

11 Likes