Man forgets it's 2022, lights a cigarette on plane

Originally published at: Man forgets it's 2022, lights a cigarette on plane | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Do we have a Florida judge to overturn the ban?

45 Likes

It’s probably going to happen soon… not like we care about the health and well-being of others anymore…

No Way Reaction GIF by Originals

33 Likes

I think that was a Florida judge.

15 Likes

So, ‘man’ this time? Not ‘gentleman’?

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Burns the biscuits, don’t it…

6 Likes

29 Likes

Man forgets it’s 2022, lights a cigarette on plane

Except this happened in 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Q16K3gfeA

Occurred on May 21, 2019 / Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

“I boarded a flight to Minneapolis, MN at 8:30 a.m. This man was in my seat, and I thought he might be inebriated. Once everyone boarded the plane I got in my assigned seat an realized his seat was next to mine. I breathed in deeply, but told myself that I wouldn’t be that person to treat him differently. The doors closed and, to my relief, he noticed that no one was in the seat on the aisle and moved over. I put my headphones in and got ready for take off. Throughout the flight, I could hear him making loud outbursts. Roughly 40 minutes before we landed, he laid across the two seats with his butt towards me. He continued his loud outbursts and began aggressively flipping the tray open and closed, then he sat up. I saw him take the cigarettes and lighter out of his pocket. I pulled out my phone and started to record as he lit the cigarette. The man across from us became nervous and flagged the attendant down as I recorded. The attendant put the cigarette out on the tray and took his boarding pass. He didn’t have any other issues, and when we landed, the airport police took him off the flight first.”

19 Likes

oh dang, my guess was a 4/20 thing, but oh well.

2 Likes

Wow, someone was doing this on the flight I was on a few days ago! But they didn’t light a cigarette. Also, they were a toddler.

21 Likes

Only smoking on flights of 2 hours or less was banned in 1988. It wasn’t until 2000 that smoking was banned on all flights.

6 Likes

Was it really? All this time I thought it was some kind of urgent fire-prevention matter, on account of a fire in an airplane being especially precarious. (After all, the air is aggressively filtered, is it not?)

4 Likes

We’re all living on Easter Island now.

When you take one too many pills to relax on the flight, and forget where you are…

4 Likes

Something about this seems off to me, like it was staged.

5 Likes

I got the same vibe. Just because the recording started before he even lit the cigarette, almost like they were prepared… :thinking:
Maybe hoping to get some “freak out” reactions or something?
Who the heck knows, these days?

6 Likes

Not aggressively enough. I have very strong memories of being bumped from my seat in the nonsmoking section to one in the smoking section, for an 8 hr flight. Torture.

6 Likes

What’s the problem? After all, “the air filtering systems in airplanes make them the safest place to be.” It’s not like you’ll be breathing the air that was in his lungs or anything…

/s

2 Likes

I’ve been on long-range buses where people forgot both the destination and what part of the country they were in. Substance use does that to a mind. I hope this fellow got the support he needed.

1 Like

TSA once again showing their ass when numbskulls like this manage to get a lighter past security.

2 Likes