Man forgets it's 2022, lights a cigarette on plane

Is that a box cutter in his pocket?

15 Likes

Yeah, while there is an FAA mandate for HEPA filtration for cabin air, that’s fairly new – and would do nothing about the volatile aromatics and ultra-fine smoke particles that can do a lot of damage, not to mention how quickly the filter would become a nicotine saturated biohazard.

6 Likes

Yikes, sure does look like one…

5 Likes

It should be okay if there’s no blade installed. Isn’t that one of those that takes a readily-replaced blade?

Nice spot!

6 Likes

Wow. It seems like the nicotine addiction bypasses the thinking part of his brain and forces that familiar ‘light one up’ reflex.

2 Likes
12 Likes

You can bring a bic lighter on a plane. I didn’t rememeber this - just looked it up. Haven’t attempted to bring one in a long time, I gave up cigarettes a decade ago…

4 Likes

Good eye. A box cutter or pocket knife. As shitty as TSA is, I would think that would make the metal detectors beep.

I mean, it could be staged. I know there is at least one social media outlet that has either a plane body or set made to look like a plane. So this lend some credence to it being staged.

Or it isn’t actually a knife, but like a flashlight or maybe even a lighter? (smart idea if they make a lighter with a clip on it)

Or, TSA just missed it, or had the blade removed.

2 Likes

Along with arc lighters, plasma lighters and up to one book of safety matches in your carryon.

Right between antlers and artificial skeleton bones….

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

5 Likes

I mean, he’s literally just following the logic of the anti-maskers gleefully weighing in on the removal of the mask mandate. The whole thing about “personal choice” with mask wearing - we’re far enough into this pandemic for people to know that wearing a mask helps others more than oneself. So it’s no different from saying, “It’s your personal choice to smoke (everyone else can wear masks if they don’t like it, not that it will entirely protect them).”

5 Likes

I saw a guy get pulled out of the line recently because he had a straight razor… I still get mad about the 4oz liquid thing. It’s so stupid. Although I have to say, I just have a foldable shaving kit with stuff in it half of which is NOT in a zip loc, and they never say anything anymore…
Boning up now on the below:

4 Likes

Exactly. I’d never actually do it, but recently I was in a condo/hotel building and there were signs all over the public spaces telling people to wear masks and socially distance. As well as the regular “no smoking” signs. Every time some maskless asshole got into an elevator with me I was SOOO tempted to light up a cigarette and say, “what? I thought the signs were just suggestions, right?”

8 Likes

Meth is a helluva drug.

Citation? I’ve been flying often since 1998 and have never seen a flight where smoking was allowed.

1 Like

Citation: Inflight smoking - Wikipedia (and the links at the bottom of the article).

It was a gradual thing. First ban was in 1988, of two hours or less. Most smoking was banned in 1995, but the last international flight smoking was in 2000.

4 Likes

I figured the smoking ban was also to prevent lit cigarettes from ahem flying out of ppl’s hands and causing burns to objects and people should shit go crazy.

1 Like

Lucky you; flights with smoking on them were truly disgusting.

On the original video: That guy really looks like he’s having a moment. I feel badly for him. It’s not enough to excuse smoking on the flight, but man, I’ve been there. Fortunately in the privacy of my own home rather than on a flight. Rest well weary traveler, I hope you didn’t spend much time in jail over this.

1 Like

Oh I didn’t say I had never experienced it. I remember it all too well. Just not since I started flying a lot in 1998. Back in the '80s I was on a few smoking flights. Total nightmare. Smoking ruins everything.

4 Likes

That was my immediate thought. What lesson are people supposed to learn from the dropping of mask mandates except “If enough (not very many) of us throw tantrums about the rules, we’ll wear everybody down, and the desire for airlines to avoid disruption, and the underpaid, overworked flight attendants will crack like parents at a toy store, and the right-wing media and political machine will back us!” Plus one would now be safe to assume that there are enough Democrats who think they’ve “done enough” to prevent second-hand smoke inhalation over the last 20 years, and are ready to “return to normal” again.

4 Likes