Man gave $718,000 to psychics, now struggles to pay $500 rent

That last bit from me was a little tongue in cheek, and perhaps not in good taste.

Again, you muddy the waters (and throw a little mud) by somehow comparing my comment about personal accountability to blaming a rape victim (speaking of poor taste). The rapist is the one who bears the responsibility for the rape, not the victim.

I stand by my original assertion from however many posts ago that addiction is terrible, addicts need help, but all that still does not remove all aspects of personal responsibility from the addict.

4 Likes

Idiocy is a well-known force multiplier for word-of-mouth marketing, as the MLM industry and other scams demonstrate. Refusing payments to keep unhappy customers from making trouble is also a wise move ā€“ grifters who get too greedy end up attracting unwanted attention.

So the lesson really is, if youā€™re not greedy you can have a nice sideline fleecing marks who are foolish or desperate or ignorant enough to believe in woo about auras and magical powers. For anything more than that, though, you need to start your own religion.

2 Likes

Well sure, it takes practise as well as talent to be a good cold reader. Then itā€™s just a matter of convincing yourself that itā€™s the result of magical powers before you try selling it to the rubes.

5 Likes

And the end result of your career can be a bit of a shockā€¦

1 Like

And that is where we disagree (and i am not honestly not trying to throw mud). An addict has as much control over their disease as someone with cancer. Jebus, I am honestly not being hyperbolic. Also, I donā€™t want to derail (more than I usually do), so Iā€™ll leave it at that.

4 Likes

And I feel bad for this guy. The poor guy wants to be an ā€œhonestā€ psychic. He not only fooling his clients, heā€™s fooling himself.

Why canā€™t these people just be satisfied with being ā€œcounselorsā€ or ā€œlife coachesā€? Why do they need to involve the supernatural?

5 Likes

I didnā€™t see it so much as making fun of an alcoholic (which never even crossed my mind) so much as pointing out that spending $718K on psychics possibly wasnā€™t his only problem.

6 Likes

Ahhh now there is where people get it wrongā€¦ being psychic has nothing to do with magic powers at all. If anyone tells you they have magic powers then they are buying into their own BS. I have no more powers then anyone else here on this board. The only difference is I know how to use my intuition that natural instinct we are all born with. Every other creature in the world uses theirs on a daily basis but we humans just let it slide. Nothing magical nothing special everyone has it. I donā€™t believe in magic per say. No hocus pocus powers I believe in the use of energy and understanding how it affects us in our lives. It is everywhere, everything on this planet or in this universe and any other is created from energy. Physics quantum and otherwise does a pretty good job of explaining how it all works. All you need to do is understand. No magic no special powers no hocus pocus. The reason no one has been able to prove psychic ability has nothing to do with it not existing and everything to do with trying to manipulate it. Doesnā€™t work that wayā€¦ I am a person from a science background and iā€™m a sceptic may not make sense to those who donā€™t get it but you can always educate yourselves. End of day this is someone who took advantage of someone at a low point in their lives and saw to gain from it. The ā€œvictimā€ appears to have an addictive personality and perhaps after forking out $$$$ should have sought help elsewhere like a psychologist or addiction councillor but i do believe the ā€œpsychicā€ is in the wrong here.

3 Likes

Saying ā€œI know how to use my intuition that natural instinct we are all born withā€ is fine. Thatā€™s cold reading and psychology, topics that have been the subject of empirical research. But when you go into the riff about energy and ā€œphysics quantum and otherwiseā€ and the garbage about psychic abilities that emerge from them then youā€™re back in hocus pocus territory. You can claim to be from a ā€œscience backgroundā€ and a ā€œscepticā€ all you want but you shouldnā€™t expect anyone except a sucker to take you seriously if you claim to be a psychic based on your personal belief (key word there) in your special ability to manipulate cosmic energy.

7 Likes

It sounds like substance abuse problems came into play here, too. Those can be really good for fucking up a previously functional life.

WOW! Welcome to Boing Boing. I admire your courage.

14 Likes

I hope we can remain skeptically credulous, and welcoming.

6 Likes

Not just that, but adding romance to the mix of recovery:

http://alcoholrehab.com/addiction-recovery/romantic-relationships-in-recovery/

Yeah, yeah, we donā€™t like him because heā€™s one of those SEO guys. Fine. Itā€™s possible he delivered results without unethical behavior; we donā€™t know. Grow up people.

2 Likes

Youā€™re being mean to @japhroaig and everyone else here whose lives have been adversely impacted by health problems like alcoholism. Itā€™s not okay.

Alcohol Use Disorder: A Comparison Between DSMā€“IV and DSMā€“5

In May 2013, the American Psychiatric Association issued the 5th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSMā€“5).
Although there is considerable overlap between DSMā€“5 and DSMā€“IV, the
prior edition, there are several important differences:
Changes Disorder Terminology
DSMā€“IV described two distinct disorders, alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence, with specific criteria for each. DSMā€“5 integrates the two DSMā€“IV disorders, alcohol abuse and
alcohol dependence, into a single disorder called alcohol use disorder
(AUD) with mild, moderate, and severe sub-classifications.
Changes Diagnostic Thresholds
Under DSMā€“IV, the diagnostic criteria for abuse and dependence
were distinct: anyone meeting one or more of the ā€œabuseā€ criteria (see
items 1 through 4) within a 12-month period would receive the ā€œabuseā€
diagnosis. Anyone with three or more of the ā€œdependenceā€ criteria (see
items 5 through 11) during the same 12-month period would receive a
ā€œdependenceā€ diagnosis. Under DSMā€“5, anyone meeting any two of the 11 criteria during the
same 12-month period would receive a diagnosis of AUD. The severity of
an AUDā€”mild, moderate, or severeā€”is based on the number of criteria met.

Removes Criterion
DSMā€“5 eliminates legal problems as a criterion.
Adds Criterion
DSMā€“5 adds craving as a criterion for an AUD diagnosis. It was not included in DSMā€“IV.
Revises Some Descriptions
DSMā€“5 modifies some of the criteria descriptions with updated language.

4 Likes

See, thatā€™s where youā€™re going wrong.

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to go with my gut which tells me the only way that much money would go to psychics is because their business is likely a front for something. I really canā€™t understand why he didnā€™t get a few books and some tea leaves to swirl after sinking about $800 into the venture.

So I canā€™t ask if white supremacist Donald Drumpf will be elected president because you can notsee tomorrow?

2 Likes

Pardon, but getting out of cancer requires an active choice and participation by the afflicted, thereā€™s no distinct difference between a mental illness or addiction and cancer with respect to the word disease.

And let me just stitch that hair you split back together by pointing out that lifestyle choices cause cancer.

The only differences medically between addiction and cancer are their respective pathologies, and their respective treatment options.

6 Likes

It looks like either the Trumpinator or the Wicked Witch of the East Coast. I am beginning to think about rebuilding the basement into a retro style atomic shelter.

Or they were giving him high-priced personalized services that promised him some desired outcome for exchange of a lot of money, then came up with a reason why it did not work and promised another one, and he kept paying until he did not have anymore.

Happens unnervingly often.

Hope is a bitch.

Sounds like Scientology to me.

3 Likes