Man in background of news segment misses train

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/10/man-in-background-of-live-news.html

10 Likes

It could have been worse. Imagine what he would have said if he just made it onto the train, and realized after boarding that it was the wrong one! :grimacing:

21 Likes

My wretched childhood often required me to take cross country (UK) bus and train journeys unaccompanied. I recall one situation where I got off the train thinking it was my stop. Once off I quickly realised it was not and turned to get back on (suitcase and all). As I walked back to the doors they started to close. I panicked thinking the train was leaving and shouted, quite loudly, “no… no…no…” as I ran back. After i got the doors back open I looked to my right where there was a group of people getting on giving my quizzical looks. Felt embarrassed. In my defence I was only about 9 or 10.

16 Likes

En tv4 fotograf var på centralstationen i Göteborg för att ta bilder på när X2000-tåget åkte iväg mot Stockholm, helt odramatiskt, ett rutinjobb.

Men så fångar han någonting extra med kameran när han stod där och filmade.

HELVETE! JÄVLAR!

Klippet blev ett av lokal-tv Göteborgs mest populära och mannen som missade tåget blev till och med intervjuad om händelsen i morgon tv. Och vem känner inte igen sig i den här känslan ibland?

A tv4 photographer was at the central station in Gothenburg to take pictures of when the X2000 train heads off towards Stockholm, totally undramatic, a routine job.

But then he catches something extra with the camera while standing there and filming.

HELL! DEVILS!

The clip became one of Gothenburg local tvs most popular and the man who missed the train even got interviewed about the event in morning tv. And who doesn’t recognize that feeling sometimes?

Swearing in swedish is pretty lame when you translate it…

25 Likes

For a second, it looks as if he was getting electrocuted as he touched the train.

7 Likes

if it was me, i’d be yelling like John Cleese’s character, Basil Fawlty, and yelling, “THIS IS SO BLOODY TYPICAL!!”

21 Likes

This guy is the rear admiral of the train.

7 Likes

More like Near Admiral, amirite?

17 Likes

I have often just watched autotranslate for the grotesque entertainment of it.

3 Likes

Is… is he OK?

2 Likes

In the old country we’d grab ahold and climb onto the roof. There aren’t many of us left since they built the Bloody Tunnel.

16 Likes

Oh, I don’t know, I think they captured his emotional state perfectly.

/s

2 Likes

It’s true, they’re all Muppets.

3 Likes

I hope you didn’t drop your mimbulus mimbletonia

3 Likes

4 Likes

Just to illustrate the difference between US and the rest of the modern world, this gentleman is extremely upset because he missed one of the sixteen daily trains between Gothenburg and Stockholm.

Poor sod. Now he’ll have to wait as much as an hour until the next one!

14 Likes

The first 30 seconds of the follow-up story is hilarious even without understanding Swedish:

8 Likes

That was always my fear when I did travel by train. Getting on thewrong one, and finding out after it was on the way.

I’m not sure how possible that was here in Canafa, but the fear was there.

1 Like

It never really crossed my mind except on the subway, but this was an Amtrak train. I was seeing my father off, they announced the track for his train and the sign said “Boarding.” When we got to the platform, a train was already sitting there with the doors open, and signs on the platform had his train info. on them. So, we said our goodbyes, he boarded, and I watched the train pull away.

As I was leaving the platform area, the signs all updated and an announcement over the loudspeaker said his train was now arriving - on the other side of the same platform. We were lucky in a few ways. The next stop was a major city, I was able to call my father to walk him through taking the next train back to me, and he arrived again in about an hour. He stayed over another night so he could take the right train the next day. We double-checked with a conductor that time!
:laughing:

6 Likes
3 Likes