Watch this woman barely—just barely—miss getting hit by a train

Originally published at: Watch this woman barely—just barely—miss getting hit by a train | Boing Boing

4 Likes

What a nitwit. I doubt this is an exception as she derps her way through life.

In addition to the other bad things that happen as listed in the PSA, these incidents give train operators PTSD.

21 Likes

Ah, it’s time for the Darwin Awards tryouts, I see.

10 Likes

Is that extremely dry humour or are they serious about the large numbers of missed appointments as a significant social harm? Certainly she was likely to miss many appointments.

Is missing an appointment an horrific faux pas in that country?

I guess when your country is the size of a large north american suburb you don’t have a lot of excuses for missing your doctor’s appointment.

1 Like

Geeze that was close. Years ago I was commuting in Los Angeles on a Metrolink train which generally cruises up to 55mph and we hit a person. I remember them telling us over the PA that we suddenly stopped because we hit a “trespasser”. I heard something go under the train as we stopped.

7 Likes

1 Like

HO-LEE SHIT. Why didn’t she just duck the arm, or go to the closest end of it? Yikes.

5 Likes

Or wait 4 seconds for the train to pass. I understand why you might want to beat a slow freight (still not worth the risk) but the potential time saved is miniscule here.

5 Likes

Fucking hell fire! That was soooo close :grimacing: What a numpty! It isn’t even like this was a massively long train that might have held her up for several minutes.

4 Likes

Guy clearly thought he was Gandalf by carrying that staff.

2 Likes

I don’t want to minimise the tragedy of people killed in this way, or suggest that inconvenience to one’s schedule is any way comparable, but if your train (or a prior train using the same piece of track) hits someone, you are going to be seriously fucking late to wherever you’d hoped to go. Like hours late. As are hundreds of other people.

5 Likes

There’s a UK rail safety PSA that touches on this:

13 Likes

I’m having a really hard time wrapping my head around why this person kept running back and forth on the tracks

10 Likes

I was mainly talking about what happened after she realized she was in trouble.

4 Likes

Egad! That was very close.

1 Like

No doubt, but I think the number of people in North America who think ‘I’d better not do this colossally stupid thing, it might slightly inconvenience hundreds of people’ is fairly low.

Given that ad copy is necessarily limited, the fact that they chose to make that their closing argument suggests such a thing would be a lot more socially powerful in Dutch culture than here in NA.

4 Likes

Pass.

1 Like

Had to go pick up mail today, and watched from the bus as at least 5 folks jaywalked across the intersection by the San Ysidro trolley station, one of them walking right through the gates as the trolley was pulling in. People here have some cajones grandes.

2 Likes

Obligs:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.