Man in balloon floated away while collecting pine nuts, found safe two days later

Originally published at: Man in balloon floated away while collecting pine nuts, found safe two days later | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Hydrogen balloons. I wonder what could go wrong.

6 Likes
2 Likes

How very “Danny Deck Chair” like!

1 Like

he was largely unharmed, suffering what were described as only minor injuries to his waist.

I wanna know how he got the pizza & chicken wings delivered while up there?

5 Likes

Here are a couple videos of folks pine nut harvesting in balloons

5 Likes

“Pine nut, which is a nut, but it’s also the name of a town. Pistachio nut. Red pistachio nut. Natural, all natural white pistachio nut.”

2 Likes

“Who is the guy who floated away?”
“Yes, that’s him.”
“No, no, I mean the guy who floated away. Who is he?”
“Hu.”
“The guy in the balloon. What’s his name?”
“Hu.”
etc.

11 Likes

Ha, just came in here to post the same exchange!

Leaving contented…

3 Likes

Honestly, I think hydrogen balloons have a disproportionately bad rap. It’s not the safest lifting gas but it’s also not that dangerous. If it does catch fire the flames go straight up. Many people don’t know that 62 out of the 97 passengers and crew on the Hindenburg survived, which is much better than many airliner crashes.

Using balloons of any type for harvesting pine nuts seems to be pretty dangerous though. I found several similar stories from prior years where they drifted away unintentionally, so that seems to be the real risk, not death by fire.

9 Likes

I said, Hu’s house, runs house?!?

3 Likes

Hu Hydrogen Balloon

2 Likes

Otto Warm Beer? That’s not a horrible choice for nominative determinism…

1 Like

Yeah, this was first thought:

3 Likes

This poor Priest hadn’t the same lucky flight.

2 Likes

Hu! Hu! Hu!..

1 Like

Straight out of Rick & Morty, SE4:E5:

Came to ensure The HU put in an appearance. Carry on.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.