Man invents chopstick-making kit for home use

Quick calculation. My local Asian supermarket sells a pack of 100 pairs of chopsticks for 4.95 euro (5.54 dollar). If you eat with chopsticks once a week, it would take you 67.5 years for this device to make its money back. If you used chopsticks daily it would still take you 9.5 years. And that is looking at just the cost of the device, not the added cost of bamboo and the oil to treat the bamboo.

2 Likes

Ah, you’ve been watching the same Youtube videos as me…

Do people routinely destroy their chopsticks after use? I have a packet of twenty pairs that I bought ten years ago and have only used about five of them.

1 Like

It depends, if you get nice ones you can wash and reuse them. The cheap ones I used in my calculation are single use bamboo chopsticks (you’ll find these in a lot of Chinese and Japanese restaurants around the globe, so: yes, people routinely dispose of their chopsticks after one use).

For reusable chopsticks the calculation is “slightly” different. I found some reusable chopsticks online for 5 dollars for a pack of 5 pairs. That’s 1 dollar per pair. Let’s say you replace your chopsticks every 10 years (which means you’d replace yours this year), then this machine will repay itself in the year 3967.

2 Likes

I had the same question. But then, I was the kid who saved used popsicle sticks to make things out of, while others bought new ones by the box for craft projects.

All my chopsticks are just “disposable” ones I’ve brought home from restaurant meals, been using the same ones for years. (Some are more substantial than others.) They get used for all kinds of things, too, from eating, to propping up a window, to staking a plant. I even drilled a hole in the large end of one when I needed an extra-long bodkin for something or other.

For eating, I have been wanting to upgrade, though, and buy some in the simple twisty bamboo style. e.g.:

https://www.amazon.com/BambooMN-Brand-Premium-Bamboo-Chopsticks/dp/B00IGHWDO0/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1495631429&sr=1-7&keywords=twist+chopsticks

Well now I’m interested

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.