Man jailed for a month when cops mistake his soap for cocaine is suing the crap out of them

I was thinking the same:

I would ask for 25 millions and every single one related to my case laid off and forbidden to hold any public job for 10 years.

And I DON’T CARE if the money comes from the taxpayers, the taxpayers SHOULD make it sure that their money is spent in competent public servants. If taxpayers dont care if their money is wasted in lawsuits because they want the police to be “tough on crime” so it be.

4 Likes

Except that we all wind up paying for the corrupting policies of the “tough on crime” dipshits, whether we support the policies or not. There’s just no good excuse for the near total lack of police accountability in America.

1 Like

Wonderful, so police are just expected to operate like a bunch of incompetent thugs. Though I would argue that most taxpayers know less about their city council and it’s budget than they know about soap making. Even I, who vote in local elections, don’t know every detail of my city’s budget. Perhaps I should, but that’s not a reason for police to operate like a gang of criminals.

1 Like

It might have been that the cops were confused by the price tag on the artisanal soap and figured for that money it must be cocaine.

On a more or less related note, I always smile when seeing art-is-anal written on things. It just seems so perfect.

4 Likes

Oh, rental cars, you scare the crap out of me. Last car I rented had a roach (that’s marijana for all you innocent souls out there) in the ashtray.

@clevername: Why attribute to stupidity that which could easily be attributable to malice? Civil asset forfeiture laws in most states only require the suspicion of drug possession as the trigger for the cops to steal all your stuff. @shaddack posits another equally plausible, and perverse motivation.

5 Likes

You get more interesting cars than I do. The last one just had a used ferry ticket to Denmark and a lone red Skittle.

5 Likes

Are you sure that was a Skittle?

5 Likes

USA! USA! USA!

[body is invalid try to be more descriptive] Really?

7 Likes

Well, it’s the taxpayers who hired and then failed to control the police, so, yeah, it’s the taxpayers who pay for their misbehavior.

People who hire violent thugs to do their bidding should be happy if money is all it costs them when the thugs misbehave.

1 Like

However will police make unconstitutional searches an everyday occurrence if the drug laws are rationalized?!?

Rather than democracy inaction, as is more typical?

“Approaching” 60mph…IN A 55MPH ZONE??? So, she was hauling assnick at 58mph+, and that required a traffic stop? Yes, 58mph in a 55mph zone is illegal, unless the car in question is passing another vehicle, but if that’s not seen as an LEO fishing trip, then I don’t know what is.

8 Likes

Well, that he’s suing the police dept. Even if the taxpayers are paying, ultimately the state will start getting tired of losing money and force change at the police level. Or, invent draconian laws that get them off the hook…Less good.

2 Likes

DO NOT do this while black.

3 Likes

If only the judgement came out of the police union’s coffers rather than the cities. Bet the cops would think twice then.

Because there was no mention of asset forfeiture. Also because cocaine and soap do not resemble one another, so you would have to be pretty stupid or blind to even get out the test kit, rather than just looking at the soap and seeing that it is soap. Remember, many departments disqualify applicants for scoring too high on the entrance exam.

“What’s this? A box of Ivory SNOW!?, Fred, get in hear and look at this shit?”

“Oh Man, YOU’RE GOING DOWN, YOU THINK WE DON’T KNOW WHAT ‘SNOW’ MEANS, PUNK!?”

“Haha that’s tellin’ em Fred, Cuff em!”

—Later, back at the station:

“But Caaaaaptain… I don’t wanna back down, that guy would get the last laugh!”

“I understand that son, but he didn’t do anything, it’s fucking soap.”

But CAAAAAAAAPTAIN… MY MANSIE FEELSIES!!! Can’t I make a federal case out of it just this once?"

“sigh,… alright, just this once, but you know each officer is only allowed between 4 & 10 large settlement payouts to plaintiffs per year, right?”

“Alright! Thanks Cap’n”

2 Likes

Wait, what? Really, for reals? Why in your car? That sounds intriguing… or weird? I can’t decide which.

why not both?

I hope @awjt’s car looks like this

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.