Man keeps bones of his amputated arm on display

I was listening to the percussionist from the Carolina Chocolate Drops yesterday. He was talking about playing bones as an instrument and how you make them from cow bones. He said you take the limb and set it next to an ant hill and give it a few days, then set it on the roof for a while to dry out. He said you could cook the meat off but the smell is not good, as mentioned re the autoclave.

3 Likes

But what if you could? That would be an awesome way to mimic the shape as closely as possible. Maybe we could get the texture of flesh down pat in the next few decades.

3 Likes
3 Likes

“A man’s body is his own. His water belongs to the tribe.”

5 Likes

I see what you did there.

2 Likes

…Michael?

1 Like

I always thought it would be cool to plan a coffin for just my skeleton by using 3D scans to 3D print the skeleton, and then use those to carve exact negatives in a piece of marble that hinges in half to accept just my bones and closes carved to look like I am now, but sleeping on a pillow.

A type of ossuary, as it were. They could clean my skeleton with dermestid beetles on death, then assemble my skeleton into this. Id give the eyes glass so I could look up at the sky from inside the marble effigy/ossuary. I always found the knight’s graves I saw in the British museum inspiring.

If this is extremely strange to you congratulations I am a very weird person and have thought way too long about how to be buried

9 Likes

It is extremely strange, but also very cool. I hope you success in your effigy-making efforts! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

He should stipulate in his will that it’s buried with him, just to fuck with future archaeologists.

4 Likes

if you think your mechanic is a little shady you can ask them to see the part that they claim was bad after doing the work, as it is often not visible when it is in the car. It is a bit comforting to know that they are willing to show you as it makes it less likely they just replaced a perfectly good part just to get your cash or didn’t replace anything at all. I suppose they could just have a different worn out part lying around to show you but if you have never been to that mechanic then their reaction to asking is also a big tell.

4 Likes

IF I ever get my leg cut off or my tumors debulked, I want to keep them too.

Keep it behind the sink in the kitchen? Well. Okay then. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for such a pedestrian resting spot. Unless he keeps the sponge in the hand.

If it were me – and I hope it never is – I would mount it to a plaque with a button that when pressed makes it do one half of jazz hands.

6 Likes

My archaeology prof had a collection of animal skeletons to compare with bones found at dig sites. For larger game, he’d leave the body outside under secured wire fencing so larger animals couldn’t drag parts of it away.

2 Likes

Maybe he could collaborate with this guy to build a skeleton arm that flips you the bird when you walk in the room.

1 Like

I’d wear it under my shirt:

3 Likes

When you mentioned an autoclave my first thought was that they would open it to find a sticky mess: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_glue

1 Like

Calling Simone Giertz…

5 Likes

So? That’s still his too, isn’t it?

Logical, and duly noted! (Trust… but verify. Good advice!) :sunglasses: The first mechanic replaced my alternator which was acting up. (BTW: When the alt solenoid starts going bad, you can temporarily get by by tapping it with a wrench or something hard to free the solenoid up and start the engine.) After a few bothersome tap fixes, I decided to get it replaced at a Shell station within walking distance from my place of work. Per my request, they installed an OEM alt that day; my bad alt was in the new OEM’s box with its included Toyota paperwork, and I could see a visibly brand new alt installed. Much later, same deal for a couple of emissions parts – except with my now 20+ year go-to mech who corrects my suspicions (ex: “You have 30% on the brakes. You don’t need servicing yet.”) like I’m living that one Seinfeld episode involving the last honest mechanic in NY. (For me, SoCal.) Yes. I realize that I’ve been very fortunate.:crossed_fingers:

4 Likes
6 Likes