Home Depot's 12ft skeleton is Halloween decoration of the year

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/28/home-depots-12ft-skeleton-is-halloween-decoration-of-the-year.html

12 Likes

simpsons-lenny-chefs-kiss

22 Likes

I’m going to take this opportunity to rant about the fact that all the dog, cat, and other animal skeletons available from Home Depot and most other suppliers these days have ears on the skulls. Why do people accept this as OK? Is it only a matter of time before the manufacturers start including ears on the human skulls as well?

30 Likes

When I started seeing oversized skeletal spiders in the craft stores a few years back - I died a little (more).

16 Likes

Because it’s halloween and I think we’re aware they’re not accurate skeletons?

14 Likes

I am 100% in favor of giant skeleton Halloween decorations, in fact I would up the ante to 35-feet if possible so it would dwarf even a McMansion. The angle of the photo makes the skeleton look 20+ feet tall which will have to do for now.

13 Likes

Damn it. I was planning to buy them up cheap after halloween and sell them to biology labs.

Guess I’ll sell them to schools instead.

Ha ha ha, imagine a world in which schools have money for science!

23 Likes

I recall making some full scale gravestones out of styrofoam, carving letters and spray painting it gray. Also making a ghoul out of a reversed mask with red LEDs for eyes, with a graduation gown as a cloak, then hung on a hanger. But I guess now I can just buy all that stuff.

6 Likes

I was going to buy one used and hang Christmas ornaments off it.

8 Likes

Just make a cheap one and when the hot glue gives up, recycle the thing and make another.

8 Likes

At 12’ tall, that thing is as large as a AD&D Fire Giant. Totally put things into perspective for your gaming table.

14 Likes

With a little work and a few furs you could turn that thing into the Wight Giant from Game of Thrones.

16 Likes

My first thought as well! Memories of good times slogging through the giants modules back in the day…

6 Likes

I ran them for my 1e group a few years back. The mods are still as brutal forever. I miss my game, but I had an average of 10-12 players weekly so… Covid-19 cancelled my game, :frowning:
But DAMN do I want one of these.

6 Likes

Psh, I killed so many of these outside Qeynos every Halloween.

2 Likes

we used old scraps of sheet rock for the headstones.

3 Likes

Are people still doing Halloween this year?

2 Likes

I’m more annoyed that Valentine’s Day decorations rarely show an accurate heart but instead show that stupid :hearts: symbol.

6 Likes

You can still decorate your house. Yes, people won’t (or shouldn’t be) trick or treating or going to parties, but we don’t have to ignore the holiday entirely.

5 Likes

I’m a bigger fan of the more affordable mini-plague doctor: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Accents-Holiday-3-ft-Animated-LED-Victorian-Reaper-2033-36627/312516225

5 Likes