Home Depot's 12ft skeleton is Halloween decoration of the year

we’re not. we’re still buying candy, but we’re not giving it out this time, haha. our next door neighbor, who usually goes all-out for halloween, is instead putting a (non-12’) skeleton on their front gate holding a basket that’s going to be filled with halloween-themed kid-sized face masks. she’s been sewing them for a couple weeks now in preparation.

12 Likes

The second nightmare is storing the once a year decoration. But Home Depot will also happily sell you a shed to store the oversized, unnecessary icon of wasteful consumerism.

9 Likes

cillian-murphy-wat

No. You just leave it on the lawn all year… Why would I want to put something so magnificent away?

27 Likes

Well, it is a very 2020 decoration. More of a general apocalypse decoration than a Halloween decoration.

9 Likes

Planning to just drape it over the roof myself.

18 Likes

True, true. Still. Even if it wasn’t 2020, I’d leave it up 4-evah. It’s the only correct choice.

4-evah.

17 Likes

Maybe make a giant ditch in the front yard and have the skeleton pulling itself up and out of the ditch.

10 Likes

My absolute favorite in that genre is hands down the skeletal pumpkin I saw at JoAnn’s a couple years back.

15 Likes

Wow, so it’s not even a kit? It’s just the whole darn thing, all ready to go? (Actually, I’m not sure which way would be more of a nightmare to transport…)

8 Likes

But be wary of being known to be considering buying another shed even if you don’t actually do it or you’ll get the epithet “Two sheds” which will overwhelm all your actual accomplishments.

7 Likes

Well yeah, I think it’s pretty clear that Halloween decorations aren’t always meant to be completely anatomically accurate and some amount of artistic license and variation is fine. But still, reasonably accurate human skeletons are commonly available for those that want to shell out $$ for them, and when cheap ones have major inaccuracies that’s mostly a matter of compromising the design to make it cheaper/easier to manufacture.

In contrast, it actually takes effort and money to add ears to a dog skeleton, and nearly everyone is doing it. I just did a search on Amazon and clicked through dozens of different dog skeletons, and every single one I saw had ears. It’s a conspiracy to miseducate our nation’s trick-or-treaters on canine anatomy, I tell you!

9 Likes

19 Likes

19 Likes

I would like to get several of them a pose them throwing rocks like on the cover of the module.

8 Likes

I guess if it were in a box, even in parts, it would be too big to do that. (Though I’m not entirely sure that’s legal…) On the other hand, it seems too big to fit in the back of a pick-up as it is.

3 Likes

Don’t think of them as “skeletons of spiders” but “spiders made out of bones.” That’s… more disturbing.

Also, most people wouldn’t recognize the skeletons without the ears. (To be accurate, the ears could be made to resemble shriveled skin, but that would be an added layer of disturbing, beyond what the manufacturers were willing to do.)

10 Likes

We’ve had good success virtualizing our games via roll20, using Discord for voice and video chat (roll20’s built-in voice/video is still kinda buggy, last time I checked, which was a few months ago).

3 Likes

Really? Certainly some people might not make the connection, but you really think that most wouldn’t? You may be right but if so that’s incredibly depressing.

3 Likes

I just wish for one day I had a huge yard to put up a few of these, a giant Sinbad, and some papier-mache toppled ruins for a huge homage to Harryhausen.

11 Likes

unboxing video

11 Likes