Home Depot's 12ft skeleton is Halloween decoration of the year

Yeah, where’s a 12 or 20-ft. Grim Reaper? That might discourage the unmasked. :thinking:

8 Likes
8 Likes

“looming satanic presence dominating suburbia”

Is he talking about HOAs, or this skeleton?

I guess I’ll go watch Jason and the Argonauts and revel in the awesomeness that is Ray Harryhausen’s non-satanic, stop motion skeletons. :grin:

8 Likes

Dress it up for all the holidays!

10 Likes

I think I will decorate for Halloween with a time machine… that takes only you back to January 1st, 2020.

screaming

5 Likes

Harpies could be interesting, if there weren’t enough skeletons available. :scream:

5 Likes

Reminds me of an Emo Philips quote:

My ex-girlfriend was very sexy. She reminded me of the Sphinx because she was very mysterious and eternal and solid … and her nose was shot off by French soldiers. The list went on and on. She’s very beautiful. She has a heart-shaped face – not like a Valentine’s heart, but like a real heart, with the veins and the arteries…

9 Likes

Metaphor for the US post-Donald?

Well, it makes them look more ghostly…

:thinking:

6 Likes

Hey, nobody’s complaining about ghosts. I’ve got zero problems with this cute little guy.

10 Likes

Sure, but these are skeleton ghosts…

:grin:

9 Likes

Jason Voorhees in Ancient Greece?! Excellent! :wink:

$300 for a 12ft Rubber Skeleton? That sounds like a bargain.

3 Likes

It definitely comes in parts, or can at least be taken apart. My neighbor has one.

A couple of weeks ago, there was just a large head coming out of the ground.

A few days later, the head raised up with some shoulders showing, and two arms sticking out of the ground.

A few days after that, the entire thing had “emerged from the ground” and walked across the yard.

At least on his, the eyes glow at night. That could be the lighting effects in the new graveyard though.

14 Likes

Did someone take pictures and then put them together into an animation? Because that’s required by law, you know.

9 Likes

They may have. Alas, I’m always walking the dog or driving the car when I go by and didn’t think of it until it was clearly “moving”. :frowning:

They had some trees come down this year and open up a side yard. The new graveyard is quite impressive, double the size of prior years. There’s clearly some off-site storage going on based on the size.

5 Likes

Looks like the box could be unpacked in the store and the contents fit into a sedan?

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any particular reason why people would be familiar with the skeletons of dogs and cats. (And given the scale/accuracy issues of decorations, the skeletons of any smallish carnivores would be pretty much indistinguishable - e.g. cat vs. skunk.)

That is a big box, and I’m kind of surprised they got it into pieces small enough that the box would easily fit into the back of a pick-up. The video is kind of hilarious - it seems to slowly dawn on him that it’s too big to actually take out of the box, so the “unboxing” video turns into a “I opened the box” video.

I guess the complete version was someone buying the already assembled floor display unit, and it’s normally boxed up.

That’s a pretty impressive use of the modular nature of the model, though…

1 Like

Wait, this stuff is supposed to be seasonal? Our (much smaller) skeletons live in the garden year round.

5 Likes

" It’s a tribute to the self-subverting quality of American consumer excess: something intended as safe, smooth and bland is transformed by sheer size into a looming satanic presence dominating suburbia."

It’s for Halloween, it gets a pass. If this was some christmas shit tho? would be disgusting.

That IS the Grim Reaper… streaking on someone’s lawn!

9 Likes

the skeletons of any smallish carnivores would be pretty much indistinguishable - e.g. cat vs. skunk.

Some skunks can’t even tell the difference between live cats and skunks!

6 Likes