Man made $2500 in a day buying Monopoly for Millennials at Walmart and selling them online

That… actually looks delicious.

2 Likes

Well…the red pepper flakes are organic. so yeah.

3 Likes

A much better game:

8 Likes

So does the state government win twice here?

He must’ve paid sales tax when he bought the games at Walmart.

When he re-sold the games on Amazon (as an authorized re-seller), did his customers pay sales tax as well?

1 Like

AGREED!

And this is where variations come into play. We have original Catan but we also bought this version and it’s expac version too…

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0274/9631/products/Star_Trek-Catan-_Federation_Space_Map_Set_1024x1024.jpg?v=1385006183

I would have bought the GoT themed one if it somehow was drastically different…or it just wasn’t so damn expensive.

4 Likes

I hear the Mega Man Rockman version is one of the most expensive variants.

2 Likes

It’s not like this is new, and it’s taught me to check Walmart before I buy something from Amazon, at least when I remember.

Months ago, bought one of these on Amazon new for about $30, from some seller with a name like a store.

Walmart has the same product, listed for less than $20, sold by Walmart.

I think they were a little closer in price when I bought it. When the box arrived, it was direct shipped from Walmart, return address was Walmart, and it included a packing slip from Walmart.

An even better deal for the seller, they didn’t even have to buy or manage the inventory at all.

4 Likes

Avocado, olive oil, seasoning salt, red pepper flakes . . . it is really amazing.

6 Likes

I’m younger so when I think of things like this in the 90s I think of people buying up boxes of mixed lot beanie babies and selling the valuable ones individually while returning the cheap ones back to the toy stores.

4 Likes

There’s probably some sort of ‘perfect market’ point to be made here. Ticket scalpers depend on a very imperfect market, and companies like ticketek seem to want to make their own market aggressively less perfect, and scalpers are using that to make things worse for consumers and simultaneously trashing the already bad rep of companies like ticketek. Dude buying MfM in one market (walk in, bricks and mortar) and selling it in another (online, delivery to the door) is arguably adding some value to both markets - any consumer^ is free to buy MfM at either AMZN or WMT, and a trivial amount of consumer research would allow them to determine if the value added by Dude is worth it to them.

They’re both examples of arbitrage, but not all arbitrage is equal.

^ assuming a WMT is present in your area, and that you have the time and means to get to it.

4 Likes

I remember a skit on tv from years ago - ‘Alas Smith and Jones’, maybe?

Setting; an older cart man in Liverpool, selling women’s lingerie(I think?) at a certain price. Another younger cart man turns up, sets up nearby, and starts selling the same product, at basically the same price.

They soon get into a down-bidding war to try and capture the market. The war escalates, and soon enough they’re at a ridiculously low price. The older guy, with a look of resignation, turns to the younger guy and says “well, son, that’s a great price, and I can’t compete.”

The young guy looks very happy.

“I’ll buy everything you have” says the older guy.

The young guy looks utterly triumphant as the older guy hands over the money and takes all his stock.

The old guy calmly goes back to his own stand, and starts laying out the new stock. The young guy starts looking a bit confused. When he’s finished laying up the older guy turns back to the street, and begins spruiking his stuff, back at the original, much higher price.

The young guy stumbles off looking utterly crestfallen.

9 Likes

it is; from whom do everybody think got the millenials the idea? classic hippie and sunday-breakfeast-food of the flat-sharers of the 80tis.

2 Likes

I’ve got nothing against this guy for being a capitalist. But it looks like they took one of the worst games of all time and added a “kids these days” skin to lazily make fun of millennials like some random cloud-shouter on the internet. WTF, Hasbro?

2 Likes

My horn can pierce the sky!

1 Like

Yes, new model Hot Wheels have a lot of this happening. But meanwhile, in aisle 3:

And aisle 4:

Well it is about millenials.

Aye, I can’t muster any sympathy for the sort of asshole relatives who are the target demographic for this “gift”.

1 Like

That, and Walmart’s website is worse.

Pretty much what Hasbro’s done with Monopoly for years… there’s a re-skinned version for damn near anything remotely famous or not.

Is $20 really clearance dumping price for Monopoly, a simple board game that’s over 80 years old and has already sold hundreds of millions of copies? $20 sounds right for a pop boardgame that’s not the hot new eurogame or a monster wargame.

1 Like