Man plays Beatles song "Yesterday" on guitar while undergoing surgery for brain cancer

[Read the post]

I can kill a bear with half a chop-stick!

SOBER!

I can’t imagine doing something like this.

If I really had to, though, I would absolutely have to toss in “Daisy Bell” just to see whether any of the doctors were sci-fi nerds…

2 Likes

I thought I had seen this before. But nope, what I had seen was this!

Same thing, but dude playing a banjo during his own brain surgery.

4 Likes

Not to banjo-jack this thread, but apparently Eddie Adcock is famous enough to have his own wikipedia page. He talked of the surgery

3 Likes

Was he taking requests? For a Beatles song to play while his skull is cut open, I was hoping he’d play, “Fixing A Hole”

11 Likes

Now the RIAA will sue him for doing a public performance without paying for the proper licence.

1 Like

That’s one of the scenarios that freaks me out - when I had my vasectomy in China, I was asked at the table if I wanted the local or general anaesthetic. I chose the second one, and the last thing I heard as I was going to sleep was the doctor turning to the nurse - “yeah, westerners always go for the general anaesthetic”. What can I say? I’d rather not be conscious for anything more involved than giving blood.

1 Like

If you can, always go for local. General is too much of a load for the brain, and will make you cognition-impaired for up to a month; you’ll be catching yourself making little (and sometimes not so little) silly mistakes and generally not entirely “be there”.

2 Likes

I’m like that most of the time anyway, so I barely noticed after the first couple of days.

2 Likes

The horror. The horror.

1 Like

Not the same, but made me think of this article nonetheless.

Cracked sat down with Vijay Welch-Young, a man who had chest-slicing,
cancer-dicing heart surgery without general anesthesia, which means he
was awake for the whole goddamn thing.

1 Like

Very interesting (and I wonder why the local anaesthesia did not work, maybe there were no suitable points for a nerve block?).

My experience was only with pulling screws from a broken (and by then healed) bone under a nerve block. The K-wire extraction felt like a tooth being pulled under anaesthesia, just thinner and way way longer; the feel of two hard materials sliding along each other was the same.

My earlier experience near the beginning chain of event, shortly before I got the screws in, involved a nurse asking me the pain scale question, and my immediate counter-question if the scale is linear or logarithmic. (I was quite “out of it” and couldn’t think well enough to second-guess.)

1 Like

If that was me I’d be like, ok, let’s try it! And then start playing horribly. And the Drs would be like “OMG what did we do?” And I’d be like, “OMG, docs, what did you do?”

And then we’d all laugh when I’d tell them I couldn’t play the guitar before.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.