Man returns from vacation to learn that he has died, according to the government

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/18/man-returns-from-vacation-to-learn-that-he-has-died-according-to-the-government.html

5 Likes

I assume he was still on the hook for the speeding ticket?

9 Likes

He’s lucky the reason behind this was so simple. The history of people trying (often unsuccessfully) to reverse this sounds terrible:

9 Likes

That seems like one heck of a speeding fine to me. Even if it is in Canadian Dollars, $1,092 seems like a chunk of change.

8 Likes

He must have been driving like the Devil was after him.

13 Likes

Is he sure he is alive? This could be a Beetlejuice scenario…

2 Likes

Speeding tickets are intended to be punitive. What is the logic behind collecting a fee from the estate of a dead person? “That’ll teach you not to have criminal family members!”

11 Likes

“He’s spending a year dead for tax purposes.”

13 Likes

Exactly. The only sane answer to that request is, ‘no, I absofuckinglutely will not’.

5 Likes

Only relevant in it’s about a speeding ticket (and Waititi is hilarious)

5 Likes

He could have taken inspiration from the rock star in one of the Hichhikers Guide books who was taking a year off dead for tax reasons.

3 Likes

I was always under the impression speeding tickets were more a form of revenue generation than simply punishment. I feel like if you are exceeding the speed enough, or the situation warrants, reckless driving charges would be applied.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.