Man shouts 'Heil Hitler! Heil Trump!' in Baltimore theater during 'Fiddler on the Roof'

He misunderstood what “Tradition” he should honor…

3 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s the right wing cranks who are in danger of being shot. /s

13 Likes

Punch Nazis civilly

6 Likes

I think he meant “beating”, not “shunning”.

I read the article, and noticed the following:
"According to the report, Derlunas said that the final scene of the play before intermission had reminded him of his hatred for the president, which is why he shouted. He was confused when people around him became angry. The officer deduced “that his intention was to express his dislike for President Donald Trump.”

“It’s just a prank bro. I don’t understand why you’re upset”

11 Likes

I was just thinking about this - not that white supremacists were ever going to think that Obama was on their side, but no extremist groups, of any sort, seemed to be under the impression Obama was on their side. If they did, they kept it pretty quiet.

“Pardon me, sir.” [knee to the face]
Madame-Vigny

11 Likes

Oy vey!

see-that-guy-fuck-that-guy

10 Likes

Ah - a false flag.

4 Likes

Probably a drunk with a poor sense of propriety.

1 Like

You know what they say - in vino veritas.

9 Likes

“why would they come to our concert just to boo us?” - Lisa https://youtu.be/FOWYE3iYmoI

2 Likes

I hear you. Any legalities be damned, it’s hard for me to imagine that not one single audience member will ever come forward to file some complaint. Even if the result is that Mr.Nazi only gets questioned by Baltimore district attorneys, at least it puts him on notice that he’s officially on their radar.

1 Like

Wait, I thought swearing was generally well tolerated here…

(as long as you don’t say m0ist)

4 Likes

Knob? Yes.
Inappropriate and horrendous? Yes.
Accurate assessment of Trump’s weltanschauung? Absolutely spot on.

3 Likes

Indeed, or a member of the cast or crew, or any staff or management of the venue! Frankly, I would expect the venue management/owners to file a formal complaint, or else what signal are they sending out to their potential visitors? Staying silent sends a very strong signal.

5 Likes

Some drunk yells out some insulting bullshit in a theater, and the next day the whole country is in an uproar about it.

Did any SF writer predict this? Not the 21st century that I signed up for.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/theater/fiddler-on-the-roof-heil-hitler-heil-trump.html

Late Thursday, the Baltimore police identified the man as Anthony M. Derlunas II, 58. According to the police report, Mr. Derlunas said he had been “drinking heavily throughout the night.” He told officers he yelled the slogans because the final scene before intermission reminded him of his hatred for President Trump. According to the officer, Mr. Derlunas went on to say that the anger directed at him after his disruption was an indication of a high number of Mr. Trump’s supporters in the theater. Mr. Derlunas could not be reached for comment.

Sounds like a charge of drunk and disorderly in public place at the very least, if Maryland has such a thing. (“Laws against public intoxication usually require an obvious display of intoxication, such as vomiting.” :white_check_mark:)

Annnnd, I don’t buy his excuse at face value, not at all. Check his social media, the stickers on his car, and his closet.

10 Likes

Likely… yes. File under “Dystopian future (now here) where a great experiment in democracy gets undermined by a racist Russian-controlled boob of a US prez who green-lights homegrown Nazis emboldened to threaten and attack anyone who doesn’t look like them or follow their credo of hatred.”

3 Likes

Shouting “Heil Hitler!” is.

German Criminal Code, Section 130 - Incitement to hatred

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_stgb/englisch_stgb.html#p1241

3 Likes