Man sued teenager for selling him $20,000 worth of fake Air Jordans

Originally published at: Man sued teenager for selling him $20,000 worth of fake Air Jordans - Boing Boing

3 Likes

I don’t know anything about Australian law, but I assume it’s not that different from the US. If the shoes really are fake then the guy has a case, and the father is very likely on the hook for his son’s malfeasance. On the other hand, if he just has buyer’s remorse then he’d be SOL even if the seller was 18.

3 Likes

6 Likes

I can’t imagine trusting a teenager trying to sell me $20,000 worth of anything.

Also, seven pairs of sneakers? Dude, you have too much money. Think of this as the world doing you a favor.

4 Likes

Australian contract law and American are basically similar to English because they all rest on the same set of foundational cases, some dating to mediaeval times. Of course they began to diverge after independence.

2 Likes

If he cannot enter into a legal contract then, logically, shouldn’t the deal be null and void and the money returned?

6 Likes

TBF - on the internet, no one knows you’re a teenager.

6 Likes

after his son was chased through a shopping centre.

Doubtless outrunning his pursuers due to his exceptional footwear.

5 Likes

There is no mention of how the sale was done: in person, online via a platform, parking lot drug deal, swapping briefcases in a train station…

With style!

5 Likes

No. Since it wasn’t a legal contract, there’s really nothing for the courts to do. And this is true in the US, too. There was a case I read about in my contracts class involving a used car dealer selling to a minor, and the dealer was SOL

I don’t think the father would be on the hook in the US, either. This is basically a buyer beware thing. You need to know who you’re doing business with, and if you’re doing business with a minor, you should know that minors can’t enter into legally binding contracts. @Kilkrazy is correct. This is all derived from English common law.

5 Likes

The buyer is a real estate agent. No one here in Australia cares about any of the details other than the fact a real estate agent got jibbed, which is widely perceived as a good thing.

5 Likes

You don’t swap briefcases. You make a brush pass to hand over the key to the luggage locker the [piece of baggage that matches both the handler and the location to blend in] is stored in. After payment has been confirmed. Preferably the pass is near, but not at the location of the locker. Shopping malls are usually good for this.

2 Likes

More like “Airsatz Jordans” amirite?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.