Man survives being swept over Niagara Falls

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/10/niagara-falls.html

4 Likes

One Lucky Guy
Man survives NOT being swept over Niagara Falls

That would be “one lucky guy”.

1 Like

Looks like his suicide attempt … was a wash.

4 Likes

A nice refreashing Summer dip.

1 Like

NIAGRA FALLS! …slowly I turn.

5 Likes

original%20(9)

5 Likes

Does attempting a spectacular suicide and failing give you a new outlook on life, or just make you more suicidal?

5 Likes

When I was in Iceland for my honeymoon, we were talking with the B&B proprietor about Gullfoss. He said to be careful, since there is no retaining wall or barrier; you can walk right up to the edge. He also said it eats ~5 tourists a year.

What does my newlywed wife do as soon as we get there? Walks on the mossy rocks right up to the edge to get a better view.

I love my wife, but damn.

6 Likes

Obligatory Niagra Falls gif from Woody Woodpecker

3 Likes

The inadvertent terror of suddenly being weightless would certainly activate the survival instinct; the total failure at deliberately killing yourself would be seriously depressing, I think. Probably a wash (pun intended).

There was a show in the last couple years – RadioLab, I’d guess – that talked about that. They had a quote from a guy who jumped off the Golden Gate bridge and survived: “As soon as my fingers left the railing, I knew I’d made a terrible mistake.”

8 Likes

A god in my top pocket sounds pretty useful. Where can i get a god in my top pocket?

4 Likes

God in my top pocket, devil in my pants pocket.

4 Likes

1 Like

Not sure what the custom is in the USA, but up here in Canada it’s usually the case that zero details are revealed if the incident in question is an attempted suicide (successful or unsuccessful).

Both for privacy reasons, but also to ensure suicides cannot be used for attention-seeking / by copycats.

So here in Vancouver, if there is a “police incident” on a local bridge high over the inlet we all know it is a suicide attempt in progress - But those words are never used. Just “police incident.”

4 Likes

Been there twice and don’t doubt that figure for a moment. There is nothing keeping people back except abject fear.

1 Like

wonderfalls

3 Likes

In addition to the man who survived there’s another man who went missing near the falls just a few days later that has yet to be located.

It’s odd I can’t find a more local news source for this.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.