Man thought he had water in his ear but it was something much creepier bugging him

Ummm, that I have not done. Yuck!!

4 Likes

You mean Chekov?

4 Likes

Oops.

2 Likes

get out lol GIF by britbox

6 Likes

In the proper light with great photography, bugs look awesome.

Crawling on your floor or in your sink, not so much.

I had a house centipede - a big one - crawling by my head on a window sill! YIKES! As cool as I thought it was, I had to get rid of it. The first one I had seen in the wild!

2 Likes

…Are they? Because everything I have seen suggests they are named so inappropriately, some even speculated the name might be referring to the shape of the wings or something. :confused:

2 Likes

I am reminded of this

1 Like

I have a ghost of a memory of reading somewhere that the name “earwig” has something to do with their fondness for crawling into such spaces as ears (and especially, ears themselves), but I fully concede that such wisdom may be apocryphal, urban mythical, etc.

3 Likes

Agree 100%. The first time I saw a house centipede I freaked out because I had absolutely no idea what it was and I was one of those kids who loves creepy-crawly things.

3 Likes

We probably don’t need a gif of a severed ear on the ground with ants crawling all over it, thanks all the same. :grimacing:

4 Likes

Ah. That’s where the name is from, but no, it isn’t true at all. Earwigs have a primeval look and like to keep hidden, but they don’t really have any interest in us. They feed on little bits of vegetation and other bugs like mites and aphids, which are what the pincers are actually for, along with things like fighting rivals. Apparently at least most of them are also good parents, bringing food back to their young.

6 Likes

Earwig-gathered earwax, yum!

:wink:

4 Likes

I don’t know. Seems like ear merkin would make more sense. We only call them wigs when they’re for the whole noggin, right?

5 Likes

Woah, considering what sometimes sprouts from human ears, I am trying now to NOT imagine an ear merkin!

4 Likes

Same here - particularly because it was on the ceiling above my bed.

1 Like

If you consider a cockroach in one ear to be a problem, consider that a cockroach in each ear might be an opportunity. From 1985.

“Doctors Settle Cockroach-In-The-Ear Controversy”
https://apnews.com/article/09f3718bdba2873f812789f19d028363

1 Like

I’m just glad we’re all geeky enough to immediately think of the TWoK movie sequence.

2 Likes

Yet another scenario, ENT doc looks in and says"I’m going to refer you to Orkin."

4 Likes

I was on a jungle hike on Iriomote Island way down past Okinawa, and saw this chilling on a branch up ahead:

My companions had all put a hand on the branch as they ducked under it, and were somewhat surprised when I showed them what they’d nearly touched… It was about 8 inches long, and apparently gives a nasty bite:

3 Likes

I don’t want it on me - but it is cool to look at.

1 Like