Man tries to wear high heels for a day, fails

MrsTobinL would wear those for fun, being 5’9" she is just a wee bit shorter than me and it amuses her to be taller than me on occasion. On the whole the heels if they are wide like the boots seem like no big deal. It is more the shape of the toes and the pointy type heels that I just kinda go why would anyone want to do that to themselves.

2 Likes

I understand. Of course there are reasons why people have tended to wear different things spanning the hundreds of years. But it’s also easy to generalize that people all presumably did a certain thing, and do another now. Unless we want the 21st century to remain a sexist culture, we cannot leave sex-specific dress codes unchallenged.

For example, here’s a post where I condensed a school’s sexist dress code to include the same clothes, without it being sex-specific, as they had it:

Likewise, places can specify that people need to wear flat dress shoes or high heels, but they don’t get to specify who wears which.

1 Like

\(★´−`)人(´▽`★)/

1 Like

We want a mattress!

I can’t like this enough because the Franklin Cinema was where I saw Rocky Horror more times than I can count. It was, though, not the first place I saw it. The first place was a very illegal bootleg videotape I watched in an Indiana hotel room.

I normally like to start that story with “I had a life changing experience when I went into the Indiana hotel room of a man I’d never met before.”

My first theatrical experience was the long-gone Cinema South on Nolensville Road. But the Franklin Cinema became the place.

3 Likes

No one expects anything of you first of all.

Oh, you mean like my old (female, for the record) boss, who gave me crap after a conference (during which I was expected to stand for 10+hour days, while pregnant) for not wearing heels? Apparently not wearing heels was “not professional” and “showed that I didn’t care”, you see. Direct quotes.

I’m willing to believe that most women aren’t given that feedback quite so directly, but to imply that it doesn’t exist shows a very particular blindness to the reality that most of us face.

9 Likes

WTFF? No really I am just speechless. Even as a male I am thinking that is just batshit crazyville. Maybe because I come from IT where things are a bit more relaxed for a dress code, but that is fucked up big time.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Fair enough. :smile:

1 Like

No, because they choose to wear heels in their off hours. Do you see how some women don’t choose to wear them - the majority of women I’ve met, actually - and how that could be very different from your own experience?

1 Like

I’m a tall woman with a size 42 shoe size, and those comfortable, attractive shoes you go on about are bloody difficult to find. One thing missing from this discussion is that women’s shoes tend to be poorly made. I’ve bought second pairs of the exact same shoes if I find a winning pair, just because I know they’ll wear out quickly and it’s such a pain to find new ones.

In women’s clothing, consumer demand doesn’t count for much. Most of us just buy the least crappy item, rather than the one that makes us feel good. The woman looking in the change room mirror and smiling at her reflection is the stuff of chick flicks, not typical reality.

7 Likes

I wish I could give this more than one like. So many likes.

1 Like

That. That was just.

OMG.

6 Likes

I agree that it is naive, but would go so far as to say that:

No one is justified in expecting anything of you. It’s a crucial distinction.

2 Likes

totally.

I didn’t get my VHS copy for many years; getting a dub of a Japanese copy converted to NTSC from PAL or whatever was a bit more clandestine than walking into Blockbuster, but I got it eventually! I believe I still do. the japanese subtitles were fun. I can’t imagine seeing it on TV for my first time, though. I guess that’s the normal way, these days : /

1 Like

Yes, but why are they choosing it? Thats the key here, is it because they honestly and truly think heels are comfortable and attractive? Or is it that after a life time of exposure to media and pop culture they’ve fallen prey to main stream beauty ideals?

Its a big issue, bigger than just shoes or my or your wifes personal experience. Thats the only point I’ve been trying to get across. Its not about shoes, its so much more than that and to tell women to just not wear heels, or that they’re attractive without them, is missing the point entirely.

4 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.