Man videotapes Salt Lake City police after officer shot his dog

I just love it when people come running up to my face with a camera demanding things. I know whenever I need to get calm, straight forward answers this is the best method to use.

So, no warrant…how is this not criminal trespass?

3 Likes

While I do in fact eat pork but not dog, and therefore tacitly agree, I’m not sure I should agree. After all, pigs are extremely intelligent animals, probably the smartest of all livestock…

2 Likes

Yeah but he wasn’t trying to get straight-forward answers. He was trying to express how wrong it is that his dog should be shot dead just for being a dog in the backyard of his human’s house.  He was voicing his outrage that the very atrocity that was already so evident on YouTube, that was already a known problem that we all know needs addressing, should actually happen to him and his dog. He was intentionally violating the social norms about how one interacts with law enforcement, making the point that this police behavior nullifies any claim to privileged status or moral authority. And he was speaking for a lot of us.

11 Likes

I just love it when people jump into my back yard and fucking shoot my fucking dog. I find that’s the best way to get me to help them find a lost kid.

8 Likes

This is happening way too often. There’s even a movie. Puppycide.com.

The extreme irony is that in the past few months, two cops were fired within 24 hours after shooting dogs, one a cattle dog in Texas and another pet in Florida. These cops were fired without delay, but, shoot a black teenager, you get desk duty and all the protections the so-called “cop bill of rights” affords.

p.s. I’ve had cops come through my yard twice in the past 20 years, my dog Hollis wasn’t here but he would have barked at them. What would those Oakland cops have done?

1 Like

In the least, there should be an end to the hypocrisy in which killing a police dog is treated like murder, but the police killing your dog is fine because they’re cops with guns and they said they felt threatened, even if they shouldn’t have been there and the dog only reacted because it felt threatened by a stranger. Pretending that non-police dogs are supposed to know not to growl, bark, or charge a police officer is absolutely absurd. There have been too many stories of cops shooting dogs for stupid, unjustifiable reasons. This is definitely one of them.

8 Likes

I agree with you, I just don’t want to see dogs punished because of humans.

As to the dog’s perspective: Some human carrying a gun invades your territory, your natural instinct is to defend your territory. I can’t imagine the dog didn’t bark at the police officer. At the very least, he should have taken it as a sign, and realized the dog is protecting his territory. He should have just backed off, and closed the gate behind him.

As to the lost child, he would have faced the same dog and would probably not invade the dog’s territory in the first place.

1 Like

I believe he was referring to the human pig. Not the one from the “animal” kingdom (and I use quotes here because I’m not sure who the “animal” is anymore).

Strawman. Owning people is not equivalent to the concept of owning animals, nevermind the over generalization about “some muslim countries”.

5 Likes

It sounds like the dog reacted as you’d expect a dog to react when an intruder comes into its yard. Clearly this officer of the Law isn’t trained with enough situational awareness to realize the kid is unlikely to be in a yard with a dog that eats intruders. Also, the officer appears either unqualified to carry a firearm or felt so threatened that he felt killing the dog was his best option.

The owner clearly believes the officer was never in any danger. My dogs will bark and threaten but I doubt they attack anyone who isn’t trying to get past them. Nemo is a very fierce wall, but he is clearly on D.

4 Likes

As much as I like animals and dogs in particular, they aren’t people and shouldn’t be afforded the same rights as humans. The suggestion that dog ownership and slavery is comparable is preposterous.

8 Likes

Police have a legitimate interest in going onto private property to search for lost children. Police also have the right to shoot animals in self-defense, if they think the animal is threatening them.

So, if what happened is what the police said happened, then, it’s tragic. The owner’s outrage is perfectly understandable. And those cops who dealt with him were commendably low-key.

Otherwise, this post is part of what Maggie Koerth-Baker called “the Outrage-Industrial Complex,” existing in order to feed the outrage. Hell, join the club.

2 Likes

Yeah it does actually sound like a pretty sweet police force for people with wayward children and no pets.

1 Like

I think Seppuku would be a great institution for the United States. Let’s start with Utah.

Not if they created the situation that caused the animal to threaten them, in the same respect that US Border Patrol has been told to stop stepping front of vehicles and thereby putting their lives in danger and thus “justifying” use of deadly force. Cops don’t get to create situations and then pretend that their hand was forced in the matter. Should we kill off bees because a cop was stupid enough to look for a lost child in a bee hive?

If the critical thinking to decide to vacate the dog’s territory and have animal control come out and secure the animal in order to facilitate the search was not available to the officer, then he shouldn’t be allowed to carry a badge anymore, because next time his lack of critical thinking will involve shooting a kid who is carrying a water pistol and it’ll be “okay” because the officer thought his life was in danger.

6 Likes

A police officer is not excused from the legal expectation to act reasonably and with care. Excessive force is a one form of police misconduct. It doesn’t matter if the officer meant no harm, and then over-reacted. They have the same responsibility as any other citizen to mitigate possible harm.

Section 1983 is the part of U.S. Civil Code that applies to just this circumstance.

http://www.shouselaw.com/1983.html

5 Likes

I find myself in the odd position of sympathizing with the officers, to some extent. You don’t know what that dog did. Dogs are animals and they can be unpredictable. Do I value a child’s life over a dog’s? Yeah, I do. Would a kidnapper dude have a ferocious dog guarding his house? Sure, could be. Is it possible the officer was acting with the belief that his or the child’s life is in danger? Yes.

I say this as a childless (thank god!) dog owner who does not particularly like cops, and follows their abuse of power avidly. This just sounds like a really shitty situation gone shittier.

1 Like

So in your world, all the police could enter all the yards and kill all the dogs because they were trying to find that child. BAH.

If that’s how they treat dogs I’d hate to be the kid when they find them.

1 Like