Man videotapes Salt Lake City police after officer shot his dog

in the same respect that US Border Patrol has been told to stop stepping front of vehicles and thereby putting their lives in danger and thus "justifying" use of deadly force
Nice hyperbole. Shooting a dog in self defense is not the same as what you've just described, with no citation to show it ever happened. (Fits in just fine with the Outrage-Industrial Complex, though.)
Cops don't get to create situations and then pretend that their hand was forced in the matter
The cop didn't create the situation of the missing child, or the need to search for it. Neither is it likely that the cop "pretended" that he thought he was being assaulted by the dog.

Whether he showed good judgment in going into a fenced back yard with a dog in it is an open question that will hopefully be addressed by the investigation. But please, continue with the outrage.

1 Like

Jut providing a link to show that the U.S. Border Patrol has, indeed, been stepping in front of vehicles in order to justify force. They were told not to, because bullets wouldn’t injure the vehicles, and if they hurt the driver, the vehicles would then become a greater threat.

Agents have also shot (and thus killed) immigrants in the back.

The proposed existence of a so-called outrage-industrial complex online doesn’t negate the validity of outrage in any given scenario. It’s like people who think citing Godwin’s law because someone else made a Hitler reference automatically wins them an argument online. It’s all about context. If there’s a legitimate reason to be outraged, blame the source of the outrage and not the online social phenomenon that results. If cops are shooting dogs in arguably unwarranted scenarios, there’s reason to be outraged.

With the amount of facts available in this scenario so far, the cop had the choice not to enter the backyard and thus could have prevented the entire situation. The fence in the video didn’t look so high that the cop couldn’t have looked over it before entering. So yeah, with the available facts, unless the cop has video showing that the dog left the backyard and attacked him without provocation, I’d say this was preventable. If it was preventable, then only the cops’ actions caused the death of the dog. So the guy whose dog got killed by the cop seems perfectly justified in his outrage.

And if you want the personal experience to goes into my perspective, I’ve work for a law enforcement agency and have witnessed cops first hand encounter hostile dogs and they figured out how to back away without having to resort to shooting the dog. Unless the dog was standing between the cop and the missing kid and threatening the cop or the kid, the shooting wasn’t justified, period.

If a regular citizen had gotten into the backyard and had felt threatened by the dog, would you say that the citizen was stupid for going back there or would you say an armed, trespassing citizen would be warranted to shoot the dog in its own yard because they felt threatened? How does the cop being a cop make them special to warrant killing an animal because of their own bad decisions?

The cop created the situation that searching that backyard required entering it and then shooting the dog who likely felt threatened by his presence. If the cop can’t figure out a way to handle an understandably hostile dog without resorting to the use of lethal force, he shouldn’t be allowed near human beings with a firearm.

But please, continue with the justification of violence. It makes for such pithy insults. Someone must be wrong on the internet.

6 Likes

Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don’t eat filthy animals.
Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I’d never know ‘cause I wouldn’t eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep and root in shit. That’s a filthy animal. I ain’t eat nothin’ that ain’t got sense enough to disregard its own feces.
Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
Jules: I don’t eat dog either.
Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules: I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.
Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
Jules: Well we’d have to be talkin’ about one charming motherfuckin’ pig. I mean he’d have to be ten times more charmin’ than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I’m sayin’?

1 Like

Yeah but Hitler loved dogs…

Hitler and dogs wallpaper:

2 Likes

That sounds like a line from a 70s sci-fi movie (I have Soylent Green in mind). The livestock would, of course, be human or at least human looking.

“You don’t know what that dog did.” But I do know what my dog did in a similar situation. He barked at the police officer climbing over the fence into my yard. What did the police officer do? He stopped, looked around, didn’t see blood dripping from the dog’s jowls, and continued on. He didn’t shoot my dog.

You really seem overly eager to assume that a)the dog is ferocious, rather just a normal dog with normal dog territorial instincts, b) that the officer had reasonable suspicion that the dog was guarding a kidnap victim, and c) that the dog owner hates cops, rather than that he hates the guy who shot his dog (see the difference there?).
You have no evidence of either, only suppositions. It seems as if you love cops and hate every one who criticizes their actions, no matter how unjustifed the action, and how justified the criticism.

“I say this as a childless (thank god!)” And why would you even say this? Are you assuming he would be an incapable parent because he’s upset at a senseless killing and shows empathy? Really, explain this.

I agree that if it were my house I’d do something foolish and probably be arrested like the camera man should have been. So, the majority here is in agreement that if it were the cop or the dog, the cop should have been the one lying dead in the backyard? Protect and serve one’s own ass? That seems to be a growing theme in the U.S.

So your reaction to someone being heartbroken about their innocent dog getting shot is to murder some other innocent dogs to make the shooter feel bad? I’m not sure that’s really a great solution.

Do you have any evidence that this is not in fact the world we live in? Which law did the officer break?

A different dog and a different cop were involved in a different situation and it ended differently, so therefore…you can assume exactly nothing about this situation.

You. don’t. know. what. happened.

Maybe the dog was being perfectly calm. Maybe it wagged its tail and ran up to sniff the officer, which appeared threatening to a cop who didn’t know dogs or had a history of being attacked by them. Or maybe it lunged at the cop, barking and snarling, which, as a fellow dog owner, I know is mostly for show, saying “You’re freaking me out and I NEED YOU TO LEAVE,” as opposed to actual intent to harm, in which case the dog skips the barking show and simply bites. These are all possible outcomes, some of which include legitimate concern about the officer’s life, some of which do not.

My point about being childless was simply that my natural bias does not tend towards the welfare of children and cops. It is a technique to imbue more objectivity than posters like you are granting me, because I…love cops and hate everyone else, or maybe I think a more nuanced approach to a complex situation is called for. Sorry you didn’t make the inference.

1 Like

If the dog was so vicious, what made the cop think the kid was in the back yard with the dog?

FFS, there needs to be a criminal case here. More and more I’m thinking the problem doesn’t stem from the police force itself but from lead prosecutors/district attorneys refusing to bring police up on criminal charges. That alone will create a police force that feels above the law simply because they really are.

1 Like

What compounds my distress is that the sum result will probably be mostly snarky, spiteful online speech.

The internet has not routed around fascism. The internet has been subsumed by it.

And our machines don’t fight fascism. Our machines promulgate it.

You don’t either, which is why I called out your assumptions. And the rest of your reply just doesn’t make sense.

“My point about being childless was simply that my natural bias does not tend towards the welfare of children and cops. It is a technique to imbue more objectivity than posters like you are granting me”

‘Thank god he’s childless’ does not imbue objectivity.

I’ve never heard an answer, so I’ll just put this question here.

How many police have been killed by dogs in the history of the US?

If the answer is 0, I can’t see how killing an animal who “threatens” you with nothing more than bodily harm isn’t disproportionate and inappropriate force. I don’t care if the dog is rabid, a dog bite threat should not be responded to with summary execution. Because if that’s the case, replace “rabid dog” with “staph infected prostitute”, and you could argue for the exact same response, which is patently absurd.

I doubt it’s actually zero, but that doesn’t weaken your argument.

The actual ratio is probably (literally) thousands to one, which prompted the documentary Puppycide.

I am childless, by choice, and a dog owner, also by choice, therefore a reader may, if he or she wanted, grant me a shade more objectivity than they might if the situation were its converse. I don’t know how to further clarify that for you.

Not that we’re not on the same side here, but to just elaborate…

The phrase “police officer killed by dog” returns precisely 6 results on Google, none of which are about an officer being killed by a dog.

In addition, Wiki’s List of fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia shows that:

Fatal dog attacks in the United States are a small percentage of the relatively common occurrences of dog bites. While at least 4.5 – 4.7 million Americans (2%) are bitten by dogs every year, only about 0.0002% of these (less than 0.00001% of the U.S. population) result in death, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which published a special report on the subject in 2000.

So it wouldn’t surprise me that that answer is that there has never been a documented case of a police officer being killed or dying due to complications from a dog bite. Maybe if police had proportional fear, they’d shoot the cars they see, as I’m sure they’re more likely to die in a car accident than be killed by a dog.

Also, maybe the police should be training with the USPS. They seem to not only have to engage with threatening dogs, but they manage to do their jobs and never have to open fire. Retreating from delivery is rarely an option for them, either.

2 Likes

Well said!

Thanks for your research on officer fatalities from dog bites (and complications thereof)

From a vigorous discussion in an earlier BoingBoing thread, it would appear that about 1/3 of police fatal accidents stem from “interactions” with “violators” and by extension, that about 2/3 of all police deaths are due to transportation incidents.

So, yes, far more likely to be killed in a car accident than killed by a dog.

Police should have the right to protect themselves from violent dogs. Indeed there are are people who keep violent pets and don’t control them and they end up hurting other people.

The problem here is too many police are willing to shoot a dog with little to no provocation. I’ve heard of cases of shooting at dogs running AWAY. The “it’s coming right for us” defense is used and most of the time it is ruled as a reasonable action and the cop and the department are protected from any civil suits. Its seems only in rare case when it is recorded and the cop acts with clear malice that anything is done.

1 Like