Man walking around carrying his severed arm saved by tree trimmers trained in tourniquets

Yeah I don’t know what happened but clearly something went wrong. Maybe it was an old bandsaw and the support piston that would have otherwise stopped the thing from falling was shot.

2 Likes

For sure. Given that it’s Maine, maybe it was one of those portable sawmills?

Plenty of terrifying homebuilt versions, too.

Seems like the kind of thing one could trip and fall into.

3 Likes

It’d be so awesome if he used his other arm to wave his severed arm at the trimmers.

1 Like

According to the tree surgeons his stump is unlikely to coppice.

1 Like

I googled the name and address of that place and it looks like a “food n stuff” from parks and rec, but not as nice…i couldn’t tell if they have a butcher section, but the butcher bandsaw could easily take off an arm, since it is used to cut large cuts of meat including bone.

5 Likes

Yeah those meat bandsaws go through a whole pig leg like it was made of cotton candy. A human shoulder would be nothing. Maybe he slipped and fell into it?

2 Likes

Kind of what I was thinking. Maybe he fell into it. Stranger things have happened (see: 2016)

Among other things, my dad was a logger(*), working with his own father and brother and a handful of revolving seasonal workers. He was also an abusive alcoholic, a situation that ended up with me living on my own as a senior in high school. I (mostly) didn’t speak to him for over a decade from the time I left his house until he finally got into AA and started getting the help he’d so desperately needed.

One of the few times I spoke to him in that time was when my aunt called to let me know he’d been sliced open across the abdomen with a chainsaw. It seems my grandfather’s saw had bound up in a tree and as dad came up behind him to help, he managed to tug the saw out, whereupon the blades started to whir again, with the result that it sliced dad rather deeply, missing his liver by about a centimeter. It was an uneasy visit in the hospital, but I went to see him anyway. I wish I could say that was when he started seeking that help he needed, but at least it was the impetus for my grandfather to finally retire.

(* - He was also a mechanic, which was actually something he enjoyed far more than the logging. Of course the intersection of these professions was grandfather essentially getting free maintenance on the equipment far exceeding his investment. Isn’t family entanglement fun?)

4 Likes

Yikes, what a story. It never ceases to amaze me how loggers and fishermen (fisherfolk?) constantly risk grievous injury or death for wages that rarely reflect the danger of the work.

6 Likes

Tests complete. I’m stumped.

3 Likes

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.