Man walking around carrying his severed arm saved by tree trimmers trained in tourniquets

Originally published at: Man walking around carrying his severed arm saved by tree trimmers trained in tourniquets | Boing Boing

6 Likes

idid not see that coming. i thought sure this was taking place in either florida or texas. and since i’m from texas i was betting on that.

13 Likes

The fact that even municipal arborists were so well trained in “what to do in case of severed limb” is a good illustration of why logging is the most dangerous job in the United States (fatal injury rate of 111 per 100,000 workers, almost 10 times as high as cops).

37 Likes

No sir, this is not what they mean by “cash and carry” or items costing “an arm and a leg”.

ETA: I worked a couple of years as a tool and cutter grinder, and the closest I’ve come to losing something was my thumb. It’s still in place, thankfully.

16 Likes

I still can’t fathom how one can cut their arm off with a bandsaw, unless it is a huge beast of a machine and you were actually trying to cut your arm off. Heading to the shop to run some tests.

10 Likes

With your arm, or someone else’s?

6 Likes

I just hope that the full story of how it happened doesn’t involve Tik Tok.

3 Likes

omg what a horror show of an experience for everyone involved. i’d definitely just faint and be NO help at all.

10 Likes

My mind could not parse this headline. I tried and tried. Could not do it. Then I clicked into the actual BB post and read the paragraph, and then I understood. But only then.

I think the shock of “walking around carrying severed arm” short circuited my reading skills.

3 Likes

I, for one, support the thin blue plaid line!

Yeah, bandsaws are so much safer to operate than circular saws.

4 Likes

He may be limb’ited for awhile.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Did the arborists try to reattach his limb using grafting wax?

4 Likes

I’d probably hold it together, but the “at the shoulder” part made me do a double-take. All my first aid class discussions about tourniquets assumed the injury was lower than that… :grimacing: Glad they were able to help him!

10 Likes

It could have been one of those bandsaws that is designed to lower down on a clamped pipe or other piece of metal rather than the kind you push a piece of wood through for hobby projects. One of those would probably make short work of a human arm if someone was reaching through the machine when the blade came down. (This is a pic of the basic type of machine I’m talking about but they make them way bigger too).

8 Likes

I’m betting that something fabric-ish (a sleeve?) got sucked into the blade and pulled him into it. Happens so fast you don’t even have a chance.

4 Likes

How do we know it was his severed arm :thinking:

9 Likes

So. Many. Questions!

1 Like

I am only guessing, but maybe it started to tip over, and he tried to catch it…

Many (most? all the ones in the metal shops I’ve worked in) horizontal bandsaws have a means of controlling the feed rate. Even with aluminum those things are falling at a snail’s pace.

1 Like