Man who threatened Merriam-Webster over gender definitions pleads guilty

Originally published at: Man who threatened Merriam-Webster over gender definitions pleads guilty | Boing Boing

11 Likes

sentence

noun

• 2a : judgment sense 4a specifically : one formally pronounced by a court or judge in a criminal proceeding and specifying the punishment to be inflicted upon the convict
  • b : the punishment so imposed serve out a sentence
16 Likes

Adios. Enjoy prison, jackass.

15 Likes

Whenever I’m mad at a dictionary, oh wait that never happens…,

33 Likes

Sadly it doesn’t look like he’s going to jail. It’s sounding a lot like he’ll get a suspended sentence and three years probation.

1 Like

Previously people who were mad at Merriam Webster just used American Heritage instead.

13 Likes

I wish the Judge would throw the Thesaurus at him, real hard like.

20 Likes

A disgruntled man upset about Merriam-Webster dictionary’s update to their definitions of gender pronouns

That’s a lot of words when only one is necessary: terrorist.

6 Likes

Y’all, I’m starting to get the impression that TERFs are just assholes.

8 Likes

mike yard no shit GIF by The Nightly Show

17 Likes

What gave it away?

(insert goatse here)

3 Likes

9 Likes

I’d be equally satisfied if the thesaurus was hurled, tossed, flung or pitched. :wink:

34 Likes

Is that as big and heavy as a Brontosaurus?
Asking for a friend. :grin:

4 Likes

Damn, too bad. He really needs to go to jail, at the very least just so when someone asks, “What are you in for?” he can say, “Threatening a dictionary.”

6 Likes

The AP style guide recommends “Webster’s New World College Dictionary” for some reason :thinking:

2 Likes

That’s published by Harper Collins

The dictionaries alluded to in the “Dueling Dictionaries” article were

Merriam Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged which enjoyed a position of prescriptional authority, possibly because it described so much.

and

The American Heritage Dictionary Of The English Language ironically also published by Harper Collins. Damn this book industry consolidation!

“Webster’s” is a generic term that any upstart can use. I like the OED because it cites things.

1 Like

Life imitates art

(In other news, BB doesn’t want me to post the original URL because it contains the “b” word so I had to use a URL shortener.)

I don’t think it worked

Edited, thanks!