Man with stick calmly convinces charging elephant not to run him over

But they’re not talking about how many safari guides have been killed.

That’s the elephant in the room.

11 Likes

Achievement unlocked!

3 Likes

“Next time I’ll bring a jumbo bag of peanuts.”

1 Like
1 Like

Exactly so.

Yeah, I was thinking that even if I knew how to remain calm I wouldn’t want to have a less experienced person right behind me.

1 Like

Yep, cameramen can be impressively impassive too :

1 Like

Beautiful animal. Both of them.

1 Like

‘Speak softly and carry a big stick’ - but in a nice way (i.e. the stick was symbolic, not practical)

Agreed. For all we know he was making funny faces at it with his back to the camera.

I also suspect that elephants are more likely to full-on charge when they have something to protect, like an infant or a sick/elderly herd member.

Or a tax cut.

1 Like

Heavy symbolism.

Man = Democracy
Stick = Truth
Elephant = GOP

1 Like

This is what happens if an elephant gets angry.

Note: His ears are out.

1 Like

What I notice is that aside from standing totally still and silent at first, he mirrors the elephant’s movements to a large degree. Moving forward, waving the stick as a substitute for a trunk, thrashing the underbrush a bit, replying to the elephant’s own gestures. His vocalizations are low and non-threatening. When the elephant retreats, he moves back also; when the elephant walks away to the right, he walks away to the left.

2 Likes

Sometimes there’s nothing you can do to keep the elephants from coming after you.

2 Likes

Interesting, i love finding out stuff like this about various regions in the world :slight_smile: thanks for the link

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.