Manchin’s Exit Plan

Fscker

14 Likes

Idiot. The GOP will use and abuse him then leave him for dead.

21 Likes

I’m fine with that.

8 Likes

I’d rather he stick around in the Dem party for a little while yet. I just can’t abide the idea of Majority Leader McConnell again.

16 Likes

If he does, we need to work seriously hard in 2022 to regain the senate majority. Actually, someone with more knowledge than I, help me here. Other than budget reconciliation bills, would it make a difference? It seems like it should. Certainly, the subcommittees would be very different. But overall, does anything less than 60 votes even matter?

12 Likes

Supreme Court picks.

ETA: also investigatory and subpoena power.

15 Likes

MSNBC is reporting that Manchin says the report is BS.

3 Likes

Breyer needs to retire tonight. Biden can nominate tomorrow and Senate approve Friday.

11 Likes

Leaked too soon maybe?

7 Likes

We have to work hard every year.

So hard we end up with fuckers like joe manchin who destroy any chance of a dem majority enacting massively popular reforms demanded by 60/70 and sometimes even 80+ percent of the electorate.

Fellas, I am starting to feel super not onboard with compromising with fascists. It just makes us more fascist.

8 Likes

Manchin’s not a fascist. He’s a corrupt narcissist but not a fascist.

6 Likes

Perhaps. But he both agrees with and supports them, and advocates on their behalf. So I see no meaningful difference.

Besides, he’s joining the fascist party. How can’t he be a fascist. He’s publicly coming out as one.

6 Likes

I suspect he or his staff leaked it to spook Dems and gain leverage.

11 Likes

See @anon33932455 ’s response. This is leverage, not strategy. Manchin’s problem is that he’s a shitty Republican right now. He’d be primaried by Liz fuckin’ Cheney at this point.

7 Likes

Replacing him isn’t an option until 2024.

Previous primary attempts have been complete failures. Of course, if he flips, he might be primaried by a Republican, and meanwhile the Democratic candidate would have a clear lane and much better financial support.

9 Likes

If it’s leverage that he wants, this will backfire. One way or another, he won’t have any leverage at all after next year’s election (ETA for Clarity: because it almost certainly won’t be a 50-50 split after next year); he will be an outcast, hated by both parties. (The Republicans giving him catnip now will say they never heard of him the minute he’s not useful to them, even if he does switch parties.)

5 Likes

He already has leverage and has been very successful in using it. So it’s an odd play if true. I could see where an overzealous staffer or the gQp leaking something.

“he has a plum committee chairmanship, is the most powerful swing vote in Congress with a singular ability to deliver for West Virginia, and can bend the party to his will on the overall size and scope of its signature legislation—much of which he likes”. -Slate

Well, all except the deliver to WVa. It might as well be Alabama.

3 Likes

As nice as that would be, it’s up to the WV voters and
I highly doubt that a majority of these voters would pivot in a more progressive direction. I wish we could have more people like @docosc in WV but sadly that’s just not reality.

This is a state that Trump won by 30%. These are people that don’t care that climate change is destroying the state because fixing it would disrupt the precious coal industry. Of course, Manchin has his lips fully embedded in the filthy asshole of the coal industry and doesn’t support any efforts to mitigate the climate crisis.

Manchin fucking sucks, but I have no hope that someone better could primary him in 2024.

12 Likes

He’s too liberal by half. He’ll never get elected as a Republican.

/\— This

2 Likes
7 Likes