Man's gluten free airline meal request met with a single banana

Don’t assume sausages are gluten free. Sometimes they use bread crumbs or wheat of some kind in the casing. My favorite Italian sausage I used to get at St. Lawrence Market had bread crumbs in the recipe.

I was flying somewhere in Europe (to Lisbon?) and my gluten-free meal consisted of a cheese sandwich. My wife tasted it and said the bread was half-way decent, so I assumed they confused “gluten-free” and “vegetarian.” I’m used to bringing my own food along, so I ate that instead.

15 Likes

Hmm. Good point. Also, if any sausage has wheat product in it, it’s breakfast sausage.

I just whipped up a fresh batch of sausage and meatballs. The sausage is gluten free, the meatballs not at all.

4 Likes

I flew on ANA last year. Best flight in my life. I brought a bag of food because I am used to food-less flights. They just kept bringing food and snacks and cold beverage and then hot beverage and then another snack. I had to loosen my seat belt a tad. When leaving the plane the stewardess for my section spontaneously gave me a hug. I’m not sure why but it was really nice. I left the longest flight of my life (13 hours with a smile).

18 Likes

I have a feeling that the coupling of bananas and “just look at it” will eventually become a meme (if it hasn’t by now)!

3 Likes

The Asian service industry really has some serious catching up to do when it comes to special snowflake dietary requests. On the plus side, they very rarely taser you or punch you in the face.

10 Likes

What’s strange about it? It’s a medical condition.

7 Likes

I bet that guy’s hunger was instantly sated with “We’ll look into it.”

2 Likes

The last flight I had that was that long was Qantas, in which a nice burly Aussie came by every hour or so and would point to people and just say “VB?” and then hand us more cans of Victoria Bitter. They don’t hug people on Qantas but they’re determined to make you happy in their own way.

17 Likes

Yeah some of us have to avoid wheat/gluten cos of medical reasons? Not all ‘first world douchebags’ or being faddy…pisses me off that someone assumes GF = fad diet. I wish it was, I could then eat loads of bread and pizza…I miss them!

"eggs, sausage, mushrooms, bread, and yogurt,” - eggs, mushroom and yoghurt should’ve been fine, depending if he was coeliac (which can to be REALLY sensitive to even traces of gluten, in which case the food preparation and possible cross-contamination can be a problem) or NCGS/gluten sensitive.

Yes sausage has wheat in it, please don’t assume it doesn’t, nearly all sausages unless made specifically GF have wheat flour or breadcrumbs in them. If you know of ones that certainly don’t apart from the special expensive GF ones. I’d love to know!

12 Likes

When I flew Korean Air, I was one of only a few white guys on board. At mealtime they came down the aisle and each Asian person was just asked “bibimbap?”. When they got to me, they said “Spaghetti, or pizza?”; I asked if I could have bibimbap. The stewardess giggled and nodded. It was interesting that they just assumed that there’s no way an American would want Korean food. It was excellent. And they gave me a piece of bamboo to put under my feet for comfort and to help alleviate DVT.

9 Likes

Even if the guy ordered this because such things are now trendy, if the airline offered the option, it’s up to them to produce something a bit more realistic for a nine hour flight.

Not up to a service provider to inquire as to the validity of the request.

(It used to be a travel suggestion to request a Kosher meal as those tended to be freshly prepared instead of pre-made and frozen due to various complex dietary laws.)

10 Likes

And everyone complained about how awful and shitty they were, yet complained when they went away.

3 Likes

British Airways had pretty good food-- assuming that you enjoy chicken tikka masala

2 Likes

Since at least the mid-80s when I was ordering them, the Kosher meal isn’t fresh at all! Glatt Kosher food has to be produced and handled under strict Rabbinic supervision, which to ease the potential liability of airlines, are delivered frozen solid. Regular (and veg* and gluten-free) meals at least have a setting (sides/salad/drink) that’s usually edible, plus whatever the crappy entree was.

4 Likes

No one else got hugs on that flight. And no hug on my return trip. I’m chalking it up to how charming I can be.

My last trip was on EVA. Not as nice as ANA but still better than any US domestic flight. Food was ok but not as good as ANA. Also the staff were polite and friendly up to a point whereas ANA staff never gave up being nice (even with difficult passengers).

1 Like

And you call yourself a BBS regular? :wink:

6 Likes

The food is so bad! And the portions are so small!

7 Likes

Well. It is gluten free right?

3 Likes

I make my own sausage, so I could make it without breadcrumbs. I usually just do ground pork and seasoning.

If you’re near a good butcher shop, see if they can make you a special batch with no wheat products.

6 Likes

The travel advice I had was from back in the 70’s. No idea if it was valid, never tried it, just passing it along as a historical curiosity.