Man's gluten free airline meal request met with a single banana

I know, look at my thirst comment : “celiac disease or is it some kind of diet”

Is the banana deal THAT pervasive?
(Should I call myself a BBS irregular?)

2 Likes

Why does it matter? If they allow for the accomodation in the first place, he shouldn’t need to give a reason.

5 Likes

I prefer the term “anomaly.” :expressionless:

6 Likes

For me, “not plugged into the zeitgeist”!

2 Likes

I’m not assuming anything, I’m just asking.
Gluten free as a fad is a really strange thing to me, and maybe an angle to understand why this guy was so badly treated. Maybe Japanese are not as much aware of the gravity of celiac decease ? Or maybe some guy in the company have a really low tolerance to fake gluten intolerant ?

Bran will take care of that.

Unless you’re gluten intolerant.

5 Likes

From the Telegraph article :

Mr Pavelka, who suffers from the digestive condition coeliac(…)

Question answered. I feel for that guy, it must be hard to suffer from a disease that turn into a weird diet.

6 Likes

My point is–it’s nobody’s business what the underlying reason is for asking for the meal. It’s not up to you to know or care, it’s his business and that of the provider (if they can indeed to it).

7 Likes

I agree, but I see so much people around be auto-diagnosing gluten intolerance I can’t help but being suspicious. I’m not judging ether way but if I was a journalist I would have ask, and the telegraph journalist did find this information relevant.
Many reactions and comments to this Boing Boing article would have been different if this information was here too, don’t you think ?

1 Like

Tomatoes, melon, etc. I can see, but I wonder if that banana tasted good with salt? Gonna have to go to the kitchen and try it.

2 Likes

So, like, three bananas?

8 Likes

Reminds me of the time I selected the vegetarian entree at a Bar Mitzvah. I got two slices of eggplant and two slices of tomato with a little balsamic drizzle. That was it. Luckily, there was a buffet for the kids so I moseyed over there to help myself to some fries.

(Note: This was about 10 years ago).

3 Likes

Aldi (US) carries some chicken sausage that is both gluten-free and tasty, according to the daughter (it’s medically necessary for her to avoid glutens). IIRC it’s the Never Any brand.

3 Likes

I used to fly a few times a year back in the 90s, and tried both this and the vegetarian option to avoid the dreaded airline chicken. Kosher > vegetarian in the main, but one especially memorable flight was when the vegetarian option was the side salad and roll, no entree or other sides at all. Luckily, it was during the time when they’d give out all the dry-roasted peanut packs and saltine cracker packs you wanted, so I’d ended up super-snacking the rest of the flight, ending the flight super-dehydrated but nearly drunk because it was a flight when I’d been upgraded to First Class, where they walked the aisle with wine bottles for 3 hours. But that was the 90s, when dressing like a business professional and asking politely got you upgrades. (And your family could see you off at the gate.)

4 Likes

one banana is a pretty terrible meal for a nine hour flight, but it’s a great callback to the history of attempting to treat celiac

4 Likes

I couldn’t help myself.

2 Likes

Reference pls, for the ignorant?

3 Likes

This story was all over social media last week. However, other news sources bothered to contact the airlines and print the response. Turns out that the passenger is just trying to get publicity. Everyone on the 9 hour flight was served a full meal, then, hours later, a snack. The guy got a full meal, the airline has record of it. The banana was part of his snack. The part he did not eat and decided to photograph.

5 Likes

9 Likes