Man's gluten free airline meal request met with a single banana

i remember a time when bananas were wrapped in bacon and baked in a pan or oven. Might have been a local fad though.

2 Likes

Thank you, @TimmoWarner.

Humbabella, I think you win the Obscurity Award for the day.

:trophy:

7 Likes

I feel this picture needs something for scale. If only I could think of what.

3 Likes

Now that makes sense.

1 Like

Citation, please?

8 Likes

I think the lol factor kinda depends on whether Mr. Pavelk is a hipster douche or has a genuine condition.

This made me laugh out loud :smiley:

Rule 32 is a harsh mistress.

4 Likes

9 Likes

Any source ?

1 Like

I have long since given up on airline food, since my dietary problems don’t fit any of the neat categories. But I do have fond memories of the Japanese airline that provided me with rice when I couldn’t eat anything else.

Strangely, the best meal I ever had in the air was on an internal US flight, when they had lost my dietary request so just gave me the standard portion. Coincidentally, I could eat most of it. Then again, that was 20 years ago, and my more recent experience (last year) was a bit more threadbare.

There seem to be two companies which produce the majority of airline kosher meals. Both of em do a bento box style thing with salmon that I’m fairly sure was caught by Moses himself.

BTW the frozen delivery isnt about Glatt. Glatt only applies to meat (four legged meat not winged meat) and Glatt basically “ends” at the slaughterhouse, long before the Kosher food service company delivers their product to the airline catering company. The rabbinic supervision also ends when the product goes out the door.

To accommodate the logistics of airline catering & the standardized form factors, airline kosher meal packs are all done double sealed at the production facility. The inner seal is basically “safe” for use within the heating devices used on planes but the outer one has to be removed before heating. Thats why the flight attendant always asks if it is OK for them to open it since the heating devices are never kashered.

The stuff one learns when spending shabbat with guys who work in that industry…

So anyway I dont feel bad for this guy and his banana. I’ve had 16 hour flights where I got no meal at all. Yes I’ve since learned to pack food in my carry on.

3 Likes

It sounds like something from the 70s.

1 Like

yes, about that time, but definitely after Toast Hawaii.

Now now, don’t be too dismissive of the gluten-free fad. At the very least it results in a larger offer of foods for people with coeliac.

5 Likes

Maybe. It’s amazing that I didn’t even realize how obscure I was being when I said it. It’s feels like a major cultural touchstone to me, but when I stop to think for a second, it clearly isn’t.

For those who don’t get the still, Barney and Yoko Ono are in Moe’s. Barney orders a beer and Yoko orders a “single plum, floating in perfume, served in a man’s hat.” Moe immediately reaches under the bar, produces both orders, and says, “Here you go.”

11 Likes

I didn’t think of that, it’s a great thing. But when the fad end will this offer stay or end too ? I guess some products will stay but a lot will disappear.
A consumer group made a study in France about the industrial gluten free products. A lot of them where using a lot of additives. (source in French)

I’m not certain that’s actually the case. I think that I remember reading that there are companies making “gluten-free” food simply to cash in on the fad, without worrying whether or not their product is genuinely gluten free. That’s fine if you’re not genuinely coeliac, but if you are…

2 Likes

Yoko Ono hasn’t worn her hair like that since the '70s. Didn’t come even close to guessing that was her. Is this a flashback and (also) are Barney and Moe changeless?

3 out of the last 4 flights I flew on Southwest, they comped me a beer (two beers on one of those, come to think of it). These particular trips it was just the kids and myself. My kids aren’t especially well- nor ill-behaved, but I guess I looked frazzled: “you look like you could use a drink.”

My wife’s Ethiopian and I get this a lot (at least, on a first visit to a given home). There will be a nice spread of wat, tibs, and injera* and, off to one side, a well-intentioned plate of lasagna or spaghetti that was made for my benefit. There’s an amount of surprise when I go for the good stuff.

*A note for gluten-liberationists: I’ve often seen injera touted as being gluten-free, but this is only applicable if you’re actually in Ethiopia, or pay extra for the imported teff injera. Injera made in the US is almost invariably cut with barley and/or wheat flour, so be aware.

7 Likes