Map of separatist support in Europe

3 Likes

Came here to post that.

The 44% percent in Catalonia seem to be relatistic, though I wonder how many of them truly realize that this would mean leaving the EU. The 90% are meaningless. That referendum was boycotted by loyalists, suppressed with force by Madrid (why would a remainer risk conflict with the police use to vote no?) and it’s doubtful that there wasn’t significant fraud).

I’d take the Bavarian numbers with a grain of salt. It’s more of a feeling that they could stand on their own and want that acknowledged. Also, they conveniently forget that they were dependent on federal well into the nineties. I don’t really see any real traction there, especially since their main conservative party would be needed to work towards independence. And if they’d do so, the CDU/CSU arrangement would be over. For non-Germans: think as if their were a separate Texan Republican Party, which is in a perpetual coaliation with Rest-of-US Republican Party, provided they stay in the remaining 49 states and the TRP stays in Texas. Rough analogy, yes, since parties play a somewhat different role in Germany.

Also, i miss South Tyrol here.

Them being annexed, so to speak, by Italia is a even more recent event that the incorporation of Catalonia under Spaniard rule and they are even more culturally and linguistically removed from Rome that Catalonia is from Madrid.

1 Like

Also applies to the Serbian irredentists in Bosnia.

Of course that’s a whole new can of red herrings. There are the Danish irredentists in Southern Schleswig – sorry, Sydslesvig. Don’t know if there are opinion polls.

UPDATE: There does appear to be a Danish irredentist movement in Scania [the Southern tip of Sweden], but it is disappointingly small, being largely confined to editing wars in the Wikipedia.

1 Like

So a bit like Yorkshire then?

Savoy:

The Savoyan League (French: Ligue savoisienne, Arpitan: Liga de la Savouè) is a regionalist and populist political party based in Savoy, France.[1]

Founded in 1993, the party supports the independence of Savoy from France and the unification of the two departments of Savoy, named Savoie and Haute-Savoie, which have belonged to France since the Treaty of Turin in 1860.[1][2] Formerly a member of the European Free Alliance,[3] the party is generally pro-European in outlook,[4] while lying on the right of the political spectrum.[5] The League co-operates with the Savoy Region Movement, which does not support independence but rather federalism and Savoyard autonomism.

In the 1998 regional elections, the League won 5.39% in Savoy (4.42% in Savoie and 6.05% in Haute-Savoie) and therefore won a seat in the Rhône-Alpes Regional Council.[2] It did not participate in the 2004 regional elections. The party, however, holds one village, Margencel.

Catalonia flag bears an unusual resemblance to the flag of Puerto Rico.

And Catalonia wants to break away from Spain, while it appears that the majority of Puerto Ricans want statehood.

Just thought I’d blurt that out.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I just noticed that the map doesn’t extend far enough to include Kurdistan, which is partly in Turkey, and therefore Europe (although Kurdistan itself wouldn’t be in Europe).

2 Likes

If Bavaria is the Texas of Germany, what does that make Franconia?

I think it is supposed to based on the Cuban flag. Wikipedia says it is based on both.

2 Likes

For countries/regions in the EU what’s the practical effect? how much independence are they wanting? would it be like a state splitting in the US? Does the EU have any policy to automatically admit/reject new states as such? I’m curious in the EU does every nation have equal representation? or some sort of population based representation?

I’m thoroughly surprised Belgium isn’t mentioned. Granted, maybe it’s too much of a mess to express on such a map…

I don’t know how Lombardy (Nowhere near Belgium) fits in that statement though.

Oops, I feel embarrassed. I didn’t read well.

Yes, I think there is that factor. EU membership could make independence even easier to attain, especially in the case of Scotland.

Good point, and yet another reason for looking at the figures for Bavaria in greater detail - quite a lot of the Franconians would like to seperate themselves from Bavaria.

The TL;DR is that Franconia got lumped together with Bavaria after the last remnants of the Holy Roman Empire faded away, while Napoleon was on a roll.
The Franconians were never really okay with that and will point out at the slightest provocation that they are not Bavarians at all.
Handy differentiation in the field:
Regions where wine is grown, pressed and consumed - Frankonia.
Regions where hops are grown, beer is brewed and consumed - Bavaria proper.

The Bavaria-is-the-Texas-of-Germany equivalence seems pretty adequate to me, though.

2 Likes

That explains all that Rauchwein I drank in Bamberg.

Turkey is mostly in Asia. In fact, historical Asia is entirely contained within Turkey.

Upper Silesia is missing. That’s a region of Poland that has been part of Poland, Austria, Prussia and Germany. RAŚ("Movement for the Autonomy of Silesia) is a fringe organisation, but they regularily reach low twenties in regional elections. They want to break off because the regional dialect is 80% Polish, 20% German and the area has been throughly industrialised during the communist reign. Support for independence has been on a downward trend since coal mines became unprofitable

There is also Naddniestrze, the part of Moldavia on the eastern part of the river. I’m not sure if the region is currently at peace.

1 Like

In the opposite direction, there used to be a political party seeking unification between the Netherlands and the rest of Germany. The theory was that when you think of Dutch as a dialect of German, it really isn’t any further from Hochdeutsch than those weird noises they make down in Swabia.

1 Like